Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which school(s) are keeping you waiting?

Stanford
 36 (46.2%)
Yale
 37 (47.4%)
I just want to cast a vote.
 5 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: The Official Stanford and Yale are Slower than Tar Thread  (Read 2565 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Stanford and Yale are Slower than Tar Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
I went complete at both right around New Year's.  I wouldn't really be bothered, except Harvard has not only accepted me, but sent me the binder, a T-shirt, a letter from the dean, e-mail from current students, an e-mail address, etc.  If Harvard deals with more applications and accepts more students and are able to treat them all this well, what the @#!* are Yale and Stanford doing?

Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

getinsomewhere

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 11:47:39 PM »
I'm contemplating contacting Standford and asking if I may have missed a point of contact.  Almost 14 weeks since I got the complete email.  Im sure many are worse.

As per the above comments about Harvard (and in contemplation of my exp. with Mich/Col/Chi), it is difficult not to conclude these schools do this on purpose, to mystify and perplex.

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 12:11:01 AM »
meh I'm pretty sure you didn't. there seem to be quite a few people (myself included) in that boat with you. I'm thrilled I wasn't automatically rejected, but this waiting is going to make an eventual rejection or waitlist hurt a lot more since I'll have had so long to indulge my Stanford fantasies.

stacy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 12:57:21 AM »
this week, I will have been complete at Yale for FOUR MONTHS.  I suppose not hearing's better than getting rejected though, especially since I'm a huge long shot. 

I submitted my berkeley app over a month earlier than the Yale one and still haven't gotten a decision yet, so I guess that's worse.

And last night I dreamt that I got into Harvard right at the last minute and raced up there just in time for the first day of class...the classroom was bizarre, like a science class with a couple people sitting at each table, but I was superexcited.  Until I woke up.  Then I just wanted to cry. 
JD/MUP Summer starter at Michigan

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 06:39:23 AM »
Haha. I actually had a dream in which I got into Stanford by voicemail, got super excited, and when I woke up I had a voicemail, and when I listened..

It was some $#@% who wanted help with a computer problem.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

jeb240

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 08:36:36 AM »
As per the above comments about Harvard (and in contemplation of my exp. with Mich/Col/Chi), it is difficult not to conclude these schools do this on purpose, to mystify and perplex.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think it's a matter of them being out to get or bamboozle us, I think they honestly just don't care.  I mean, it's clear, some schools actually give a damn, even about the people who won't get in.  I'm thinking of Michigan: they send nice letters of deferral when it's been the 6-8 week period and no decision has been sent and I think someone commented on receiving a decently worded rejection letter, as well.  Other schools, such as the ones of note, really don't seem to care - they have their way of doing things and I don't think the feelings or lives of the rest of us are included in that calculus.  For an example of a school that we know a little bit more regarding the inside (but wanting to AVOID making this thread about them): Boalt's review committee doesn't meet until February, 4 months after people have started applying, and no one gets rejected until much later.  This is a process that shows not the slightest concern for the applicant.  And if you dare call Y or S (or any of them), you're made to seem like an idiot or like a crazy for thinking you should have heard something, even an indication that things are still moving, in the past half-year.

Quite frankly, m'dears, they don't give a damn.

Adrian19

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 09:34:56 AM »
I have been complete at Stanford, like many others, since November Seventh. That will be 4 months next week. It is amazing! And ridiculous! Thank you all for this thread. I feel less alone.
3.8X, 16X

in: Boalt, NYU, Northwestern, UMich, GULC, Chicago (yay!) and UVA
deferred: Penn, H
pending: y, s
out: none, mercifully, yet

cyberrev

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 09:38:15 AM »
i read somehwere that at yale, each application is read by every professor, who then writes up to a paragraph on it before sending it on.

no wonder it takes forever.  especially with how many thousand apps they get?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
i read somehwere that at yale, each application is read by every professor, who then writes up to a paragraph on it before sending it on.

That's not right.  They are given to THREE faculty readers, chosen at random.  Each rates the app from 2 to 4.  12's get in. Most 11's too.

jeb240

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »

That's not right.  They are given to THREE faculty readers, chosen at random.  Each rates the app from 2 to 4.  12's get in. Most 11's too.

Yeah, the entire faculty takes part in admissions, but not every faculty member reads every application.