Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You can't use silent timers on the LSAT anymore?  (Read 978 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: You can't use silent timers on the LSAT anymore?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
It's officially disallowed by LSAC...my guess is it will depend on the proctor as to how that will be enforced.  The only thing you can do is be prepared to use a regular timer (bring one to test site, practice with it a little bit so you're not so dependent on the silent timer).
well what kind of timer can i get from target that is silent and would be allowed?

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
I bought a $5 kitchen timer from Target (Hamilton Beach, I think).

I then opened it up (easy with a wee little screwdriver), and ripped out the noise-maker.

Presto!  Silent timer!
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 11:29:51 PM »
I bought a $5 kitchen timer from Target (Hamilton Beach, I think).

I then opened it up (easy with a wee little screwdriver), and ripped out the noise-maker.

Presto!  Silent timer!
is it really that easy? Ill go get one then and use it as a backup timer just in case.

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 11:54:13 PM »
use a stopwatch, and open it up and take out the speaker plate. its extremely easy, and if you feel like you'll screw it up then buy 2 and experiment the first time. that's what i did but ended up returning the second one because the process was so simple.  i think that's your  best bet.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 01:24:57 AM »
use a stopwatch, and open it up and take out the speaker plate. its extremely easy, and if you feel like you'll screw it up then buy 2 and experiment the first time. that's what i did but ended up returning the second one because the process was so simple.  i think that's your  best bet.
how can i prove to the proctors that it makes no noise if they give me crap and say no stop watches?

Mr. Burnz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:43 AM »
how can i prove to the proctors that it makes no noise if they give me crap and say no stop watches?

Simple, don't let it make any noise and you'll be fine.  You don't have to "prove" anything.  Stopwatches are legal--but if they were to make noise, the proctors will take them.

mikey_10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »