Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mediocre LSAT, Pretty Good GPA; Where to apply??? Help!  (Read 3514 times)

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
Mediocre LSAT, Pretty Good GPA; Where to apply??? Help!
« on: January 03, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »
Hi everyone! I need help! Please post back with some advice.

I just got my LSAT score back from the December administration. I got a 151. I was really dissapointed, but I'm set on not taking the LSAT ever again. I want to get all my applications in within the next 2 weeks.

I have a 3.82 GPA. I majored in philosophy and political science at Rutgers College in NJ.

I am quite worried over my prospects for law school. I have a mediocre LSAT, but a fairly good GPA. The only problem is that I know many law schools heavily favor LSAT scores.

I know for sure I will apply to Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall. What do you think my chances are at those schools?

I also would like to know which other schools I should apply to. Should I apply to any of the top-tier programs? I have the money to just apply like crazy and I would rather get rejected and know the top-tier schools rejected me rather than live knowing I never tried at all.

I have a pretty solid background as far as involvement: undergrad RA and worked as a paralegal for 2 1/2 years. I'm in about 5 honor societies, including Phi Beta Kappa which I was inducted to as a junior.

I also have some stellar letters and reccomendation and my personal statement is pretty solid.

Well, I hope some of yall can lend me some sound advice.

Thank you for listening!!!

CD

lawdawg19

• View Profile
Re: Mediocre LSAT, Pretty Good GPA; Where to apply??? Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 03:22:22 AM »
U. North Carolina weighs GPA 3 times more than LSAT. Avg LSAT 161, GPA 3.77, Also check out U. Florida. Many State schoosl favor GPA more. Focus on those.

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »
I'm certainly no authority, but if you're applying for 2004 . . . apply now!  It seems that applying earlier than later has advantages if you have weak spot on your application.  By no means is 151 a poor score, but I would make sure to include in your app why you think it is weak and any explaination you have.  Try the LSAC website for a probability of admissions to certain schools based on your GPA and LSAT.  It's under their ABA section.

jgutta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 12:14:34 PM »
Don't feel bad I scored a 146 I was sick on that day.  My GPA is currently at a 3.81 and I was wondering will I be able to still be accepted into a law school?  Please help!  Also can somebody tell me what UGPA stands for.
Thanks

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »
i applied to both those schools last year.  I have a 151 lsat and a 3.56 gpa.... not quite as high of a GPA as you.

But i also was an undergrad RA, in lots of organizations, including Phi Zetta Kappa, did lots of community activities, many of which i organized myself, great essay, and two stellar letters of recomendation.

and i got rejected from both, according to them, on the basis of my lsat.

Im sorry to burst your bubble, but I felt like i sorta had to reply as I was in a similar situation as you.  I only applied to NY and NJ schools last year.

What I was told later was that NY and NJ schools are the hardest to get into in the whole country, because unemployment is the highest here, and all of those that are unemployed are trying to further their education.  The big problem is that the schools arn't accepting more applicants, making the application pool in this region that much more competitive.

But do not get discouraged if your fate turns out to be the same as mine!  There are alot of law schools out there that WILL accept your scores, you just have to do some research and find them.  I suggest you do that now and send out your applications ASAP.  Someone above suggested State Schools, which is true.  They do not tend to weigh the LSAT quite as much. 

Then again, who knows, maybe my personal statement wasn't as wonderful as I thought, or maybe they were looking for someone with a slightly higher GPA such as yours.  Don't get discouraged over something that happened to me, but do be prepared just in case.

I truley hope you get into the law school you want to get into.  I think we all deserve it, or we wouldnt be on this discussion board giving ourselves ulcers.  Keep us updated on your status.  Good luck. ;D
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
Thank you so very much for your advice!!!  :D

I actually applied to 25 schools because I'm not taking any chances.

Also, I applied to the state schools which were reccommended by one of our fellow post-ers: UNC, UFlorida. I also applied to U Maryland. I applied to a ton of schools actually!

Well, please... if anyone else was in a similar situation or has any additional advice do share!

Thanks again!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 05:01:11 PM »
jgutta,
I am surprised nobody answered that for you. UGPA is an acronym that stands for
Undergraduate Grade Point Average (in other words what you did in college before any post graduate program) then you would also have a GGPA which is a GPA for post grad work known as the Graduate Grade Point average
Hope this answers your question!
IVY-hopeful

PS: to all of you others struggling with the patience of champoins, don't worry if you get into a law school then do your best and don't worry about what school just GO to law school and the rest will iron out (btw my name Ivy-hopeful is just that I am an IVY hopeful (same boat as you guys with a more than avg GPA and worried to death about the LSAT)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

sailme01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 12:14:47 AM »
I just sent out application number 16 and will finish 6 more in the next week...
155 LSAT
3.68 UGPA

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 11:34:07 PM »
Good for you, chief!  ;D

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 11:34:31 PM »
Here's a cookie! ()