Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Read my arguments against and others arguments for and decide whether I should...

Stay off LSN
Create a new account w/ comments allowed from all
Create a new account w/ comments allowed only from registered users
Create a new account w/ no comments allowed
Get a life :D

Author Topic: I just deleted my LSN account...  (Read 3254 times)

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
I just deleted my LSN account...
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »
Anyone consider it too?

I'm just so sick of ppl diminishing my accomplishments with jealous hater statements.  Also, it just pisses me off that people are so quick to judge others simply based off their numbers.  Like someone with a 170 is infinitely more intelligent than someone with a 165 or something?  I guess the site IS called lawschoolNUMBERS, but still I just want to take a stand against it.  I am not an LSAT and a GPA, I am a person.  And a damned accomplished one at that. 

Ridiculous.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: I just deleted my LSN account...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:11:10 PM »
Disable comments?  Yes.  I see only one reason to have comments enabled: You like to hear other people tell you how great you are and how great your schools are.

The site needs URMs in order to help future URMs know where they stand.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
I was considering not creating an LSN account for the same reason the OP is deleting his, but I decided that I'll probably face the same criticism in life (I'm a URM), and LSN has helped me get a better understanding of where I stand in the admissions process, so I feel a little compelled to contribute to it.  That being said, I'm going to wait until the summer after I get my second LSAT score before creating an account.  Even with the inevitable flames, I think it's a valuable resource and certainly one I've benefited from (I will not be disabling comments either).  Haters don't bother me, and in fact, I feel good when I get them so angry.
Yale.Law.School.2010

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
I was considering not creating an LSN account for the same reason the OP is deleting his, but I decided that I'll probably face the same criticism in life (I'm a URM), and LSN has helped me get a better understanding of where I stand in the admissions process, so I feel a little compelled to contribute to it.  That being said, I'm going to wait until the summer after I get my second LSAT score before creating an account.  Even with the inevitable flames, I think it's a valuable resource and certainly one I've benefited from (I will not be disabling comments either).  Haters don't bother me, and in fact, I feel good when I get them so angry.

I feel the same way thats why I kept it for so long...I just really think the negatives outweigh the positives.  You subjectify yourself to objectification based off numbers.  Its websites like LSN that lead people to believe it IS all about the numbers and I don't want to feed into that.

Also, I'm willing to tell any fellow URM in person what it takes for them to get into a top school.  I just feel the anonymity of the site is really its biggest failure.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
The site needs URMs in order to help future URMs know where they stand.

I understand I just feel like I owe nothing to site.  Also, my UG has a book you can look through with everyone that applied in the last 4 years, their numbers, their race and where they got in.  That was much more beneficial to me than LSN was.  I'm sure there are many other schools that have similar resources.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 12:40:12 PM »
It's cool that you're deleting your account.  I totally understand the negatives and that for you they outweigh the positives.  Just promise that you'll never let the haters get to you next fall when you meet them face to face.  Just brush them off. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
Rant #2(lol):

Its really not as anonymous as we all want it to be, especially at a competitive UG like mine.  If ppl know where you applied and where you got in, its not too hard to find you.  Especially as a URM.  Then, you have to deal with ppl diminishing your accomplishments in person (hasn't happened, just saying).  Again, I just think the negatives outweigh the positives.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 12:43:12 PM »
It's cool that you're deleting your account.  I totally understand the negatives and that for you they outweigh the positives.  Just promise that you'll never let the haters get to you next fall when you meet them face to face.  Just brush them off. 

Oh, most definitely.  Trust me, this isn't even really about the haters.  Its a personal decision not to be seen simply by my numbers.  I have and will continue to brush off haters swiftly and with grace lol.  I just see nothing wrong with taking a preventative step towards not having that to even deal with in the first place.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 12:47:20 PM »
You know I wonder if this issue arises with students going to Business/Grad/Med School. Is it only Law Students involved in this buffoonery?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
You know I wonder if this issue arises with students going to Business/Grad/Med School. Is it only Law Students involved in this buffoonery?

With med school they always keep a minimum standard to ensure that everyone they admit is capable of being a good doctor (because even the person at the bottom of their class at med school will still be practicing medicine when they graduate), so I don't think there is as much of a debate about the skills of those admitted than with law school.

With business school work experience plays such an important role that, again, there is probably little debate about the ability of those who are accepted when it comes to being able to succeed in the business world.

And with grad school, many programs have open policies whereby they don't cap the number of people they accept, so often times you're only competing against yourself. 

So to answer your question, I would say yes that this kind of bufoonery is probably more widespread among law school applicants.  I mean, we are going into a profession notorious for its idiots (Jack Abramoff, et al).
Yale.Law.School.2010