Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AU's clinics v. Temple's trial advocacy  (Read 289 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
AU's clinics v. Temple's trial advocacy
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:38:05 AM »
I'm staying at my best friend's apartment in NYC after an East Coast swing to visit American, Temple, and Villanova. I'm from Nevada, and I also got into some California schools (i.e., Pacific, Loyola L.A., and San Diego) in case I want to hedge my bets and stay close to home.

Anyway, I nixed Villanova because nothing about it screamed "unique" and "you would be justified in incurring loads of debt and moving 3,000 miles away to go here". Beautiful campus in suburban West Philly on the Main Line, but no programs that I found appealing. That, and I need closer access to an urban environment.

American and Temple, on the other hand, were very intriguing. Right now, I'm trying to decide between American's clinical programs and Temple's trial advocacy, both among or at the top of the rankings nationally. I have designs on being an oral advocate, so Temple would win out there, but, unless I'm mistaken, a lot of oral advocacy training is packaged with good clinics, which would at least give some points to AU. I also have some interest in law and public policy, and maybe even dabbling in international law, which would make American appealing.

Anyway...anybody have any thoughts on the two?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AU's clinics v. Temple's trial advocacy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
I'm staying at my best friend's apartment in NYC after an East Coast swing to visit American, Temple, and Villanova. I'm from Nevada, and I also got into some California schools (i.e., Pacific, Loyola L.A., and San Diego) in case I want to hedge my bets and stay close to home.

Anyway, I nixed Villanova because nothing about it screamed "unique" and "you would be justified in incurring loads of debt and moving 3,000 miles away to go here". Beautiful campus in suburban West Philly on the Main Line, but no programs that I found appealing. That, and I need closer access to an urban environment.

American and Temple, on the other hand, were very intriguing. Right now, I'm trying to decide between American's clinical programs and Temple's trial advocacy, both among or at the top of the rankings nationally. I have designs on being an oral advocate, so Temple would win out there, but, unless I'm mistaken, a lot of oral advocacy training is packaged with good clinics, which would at least give some points to AU. I also have some interest in law and public policy, and maybe even dabbling in international law, which would make American appealing.

Anyway...anybody have any thoughts on the two?

I'd go to American.  Temple isn't that cheap out of state, and American has a higher rank.  Neither school is national, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if Temple had better nationwide name recognition, though that may not be true in legal circles.

The VAST thinking in the Philadelphia area is that if you can't go to Penn, Temple places better than most every other school in this area, but that compared to Villanova or Rutgers or other schools of similar rank, Temple doesn't fare as well outside the city or this region.  Ie:  Temple is a very regional school and that region is Philadelphia and it's 4 main suburb counties (Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
I would also choose American over it.  The clinical opportunities at American are impressive, and I'm sure there would be plenty of opportunity for you to hone your oral advocacy skills.  The law school at American is gorgeous, and D.C. is (in my opinion) a better place to study law than Philly (better private practice market, home of the federal government, awesome opportunities to study international law and politics, etc). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
As others have indicated, if you're choosing b/w these two schools, don't do so on the basis of their clinical programs, etc.  They are both regional schools, so go to whichever school is in the region you want to work in.