Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools that offer to reimburse for visit costs  (Read 2459 times)

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Schools that offer to reimburse for visit costs
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »
didn't Jason240 also say Penn gives money with no strings?

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »
W&L will reimburse $150 for flight if you're 300+ miles away, will give you Roanoke airport to school transportation, and give you a hotel room shared with another admit.

It should be noted that this particular offer is only available if you attend one of their official admit weekends.  I'd assume they'd offer the airfare subsidy for individual visits, but the free room and airport transport might be a different story.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »
Is this for schools that put it out there on their own (like Penn) or schools that seem to be keeping it on the D/L?  I ask because if it's the case that this or that school doesn't want everyone knowing they are willing to do this, I'd rather not put it out there incase too many people start asking and then maybe they become more stringent with it in the future or something.

But for the first case:

Northwestern

Does Northwestern offer such aid to all people?  If I choose to attend one of their admitted students' days, I have to fly from a very remote location.  Getting to Chicago is going to cost me a pretty penny.

jeb240

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »
Is this for schools that put it out there on their own (like Penn) or schools that seem to be keeping it on the D/L?  I ask because if it's the case that this or that school doesn't want everyone knowing they are willing to do this, I'd rather not put it out there incase too many people start asking and then maybe they become more stringent with it in the future or something.

But for the first case:

Northwestern

Does Northwestern offer such aid to all people?  If I choose to attend one of their admitted students' days, I have to fly from a very remote location.  Getting to Chicago is going to cost me a pretty penny.

You have to fill out a pdf form and then send or fax it, and I think it says they will only reimburse you up to $200.

JaimeNina

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
Chicago offers up to $200 if you live 150+ miles away.  They ask that you only take it if you need it.

Also, UCLA has an april 8&9 diversity admit weekend where they are paying ALL travel costs including hotel, airfare, travel to/from airport, and food. You have to book it through them and they pay upfront for some costs, while you get reimbursed for others.

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »
W&L will reimburse $150 for flight if you're 300+ miles away, will give you Roanoke airport to school transportation, and give you a hotel room shared with another admit.

It should be noted that this particular offer is only available if you attend one of their official admit weekends.  I'd assume they'd offer the airfare subsidy for individual visits, but the free room and airport transport might be a different story.

Just got an email from W&L today saying that they would reimburse you $150 for your flight and $75 for a hotel stay but won't provide transportation to and from the airport for individual visits.  Also, you have to explain why you are unable to make the admitted students weekend and must attend a class when you visit.

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
Just spoke to people in the admissions offices at BU and BC and was told no subsidies are available for visits.

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:21 PM »
Case Western sent a form with the acceptance letter - reimbursing up to $200.  Not sure if this goes out to all admitted students or not.
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 11:51:10 PM »
what about uva?

a friend who applied last year said that when she asked, she was offered $250 travel voucher to attend an admit weekend. if it's just a need thing that is otherwise given out indiscriminately, i guess i could call and ask about it.
but i have a feeling in her case it was a special effort to recruit her.

i, on the other hand, am quite aware i got in by the skin of my teeth, and can just picture someone on the other end of the line saying "you?! you want us to fly you down here? george, you've gotta hear this one."

anyone know the uva travel voucher policy?

I assume you have to ask about it -- I'm flying from NYC and I haven't heard anything about reimbursement or any kind of financial help.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 01:15:22 PM »

But for the first case:

Northwestern

You have to fill out a pdf form and then send or fax it, and I think it says they will only reimburse you up to $200.

Does anyone know where it says only $200?