Law School Discussion

Is it a bad sign that it has taken this long?

Is it a bad sign that it has taken this long?
« on: February 25, 2006, 07:31:18 PM »

I sent my application to Seton Hall (PT) in mid November, and I've yet to hear back.  I called in January just to confirm that my application is complete, and it is.  I've noticed on LSN that some people who have sent their apps at the same time or after me have already heard. Here are my stats: 153 avg LSAT (150 + 156) and 3.9 GPA.  According to SHU's website their avg lsat for the part time class is a 155 (so i'm slightly below), and I'm way above the average gpa.  I also live in NJ.  Do you think it's a bad sign that I haven't heard back yet?  I will be working while I'm at Seton Hall, but I realize I didn't directly say that in my personal statement or anything.  Could that have something to do with the delay?  Do they generally admit people to their part-time program only if they will be/need to work? Please let me know what you all think.  Thanks. Should I call them?

dennycrane

• My Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a bad sign that it has taken this long?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
Dont feel bad, i applied to BC and Vanderbilt in late nov and went complete early dec and they still havent got back to me. At this point i am expecting either a rejection or be put on the waitlist, i have no idea what they are waiting for, i think i have a chance (162/3.6 URM engineering) but they are killing me with this wait. I want to practice in the SE, so I have Emory, which is an amazing place to go if you want to stay in the SE. Best of luck!

segundo

• Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 11:23:02 PM »
Sometimes it just takes them awhile to decide. I would not be worried until after mid-march.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:45:19 AM »
I agree, unless you're an auto-admit, this process requires patience...though mine is running out ;)  I haven't received a single acceptance yet, and most of my applications went complete in October.  For instance, at UC Hastings, my status date hasn't changed since 12/06/05....so I understand the anxiety you're going through.

Good luck to you.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:30:37 AM »
I've been waiting as long as anyone, and understand your frustrations.

Perhaps it would help to answer your question to look on LSN and see if people who went complete before AND after you are getting rejected as well as getting in.  I imagine most schools try to review applicants "roughly" in the order that they are received/completed.  So I am choosing (maybe foolishly) to take it as a good sign that from 4 of the 5 schools I've heard not a single word from, the fact that people who went complete after me are getting the boot suggests that they are still looking at me.

Besides that, yeah, it's also an LSD thing, which I need to realize.  Just like LSD will has an oddly high number of Yale admits or Columbia Hamilton winners, it also has a lot of people who fall easily into the alleged "auto-admit" category who hear back super quickly - apply to NYU mid-January and hear back before Valentine's Day kind of applicants, but most applicants don't hear back from schools before February, regardless of when they applied/went complete.  We're just going to have to hang in there.

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 09:45:14 AM »
hmmmm... I am still waiting on McGeorge and Denver though I expect to hear from them soon. I am just going to withdraw on April 1. I have already got into a school in the east and a school in the west.

MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 10:21:09 AM »
Still waiting on PSU, Seattle, U of Richmond, U of Pittsburgh, MSU.  I haven't heard a thing from these schools.  I went complete in early January and also have noticed that applications that have gone complete after mine have been both rejected and accepted.  To be honest, I would love to hear a waitlist status from some of these schools (U of Rich., U of Pitt).  I guess I will keep on waiting (as opposed to storming the admission offices and demanding answers at gun point).  This is probably what they prefer.