Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those considering Public Interest  (Read 2899 times)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
Re: For those considering Public Interest
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 05:56:28 PM »
if money wasn't part of the equation, i'd go to northeastern. unfortunately they offered nothing, so i'll have to go with a more lucrative offer.

i visited in november and was totally impressed. i also contacted current and former students and they all loved it there. my prelaw advisor says all the northeastern students she's ever spoken to loved the experience.

BTW, tomorrow the supreme court is hearing cuno v. daimlerchrysler, challenging the constitutionality of certain forms of corporate welfare. it's being argued by northeastern professor peter enrich.

Rhombot,

What are your thoughts on Northeastern?  I've heard nothing but good things about it from a public interest aspect, except bad debt-forgiveness policy, significant though that is.  The co-op sounds like a great opportunity.  Did they offer you any $?
case '09

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 06:09:37 PM »
A -  I'm gonna use and abuse the LRAP.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 06:52:55 PM »

Just because a school has an LRAP program doesn't mean you will ever reap the benefits.  Remember that when you are betting on it........
Attending GW in Fall '06

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 07:01:10 PM »

Just because a school has an LRAP program doesn't mean you will ever reap the benefits.  Remember that when you are betting on it........
What does this even mean?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »
I have heard that when the time comes to apply for LRAP alot of people won't actually get it.  It isn't just like there is some endless supply of money. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »
I have heard that when the time comes to apply for LRAP alot of people won't actually get it.  It isn't just like there is some endless supply of money. 

What school was this?  Because, not to be elitist or anything, this is often a problem at lower ranked ones.

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
I love this thread. This is the exact situation I am in right now.  A quick question for you: for those of us not choosing between T14's or T40's for that matter, how big of a difference does "prestige" make?  I have a full ride offer from Texas Tech but I have also been accepted to Tennessee and Florida State.  Would either of the latter two make a lot bigger difference in terms of my getting "my foot in the door"?

JaimeNina

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »

What school was this?  Because, not to be elitist or anything, this is often a problem at lower ranked ones.

I've heard that even at the highest ranked schools (minus harvard) that the amount you have to make for the LRAP to kick in is so low that practically nobody qualifies. I mean, it's hard for a T14 grad in public interest to make LESS than 40k every year for the 10 years or so it takes for an LRAP to pay off all of your loans.

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 07:28:59 PM »

I've heard that even at the highest ranked schools (minus harvard) that the amount you have to make for the LRAP to kick in is so low that practically nobody qualifies. I mean, it's hard for a T14 grad in public interest to make LESS than 40k every year for the 10 years or so it takes for an LRAP to pay off all of your loans.

though this is true for full loan repayment (the cutoff is usually 35k,) partial loan repayment (often still covering a big %) continues up the pay scale, so you'd have to pay something as your salary rose during those ten years, but it'd be a bit less to a lot less of what you'd be paying without any assistance.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »

There is no limit on salary for Columbia as long as you're in qualifying employment.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_student/financial_aid/LRAP/Awd_Calcs