Law School Discussion

Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?

Re: Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2006, 09:10:57 PM »
I constantly see people debating top 30 schools, sometimes with money, against a Cardozo offer... I hadn't heard anything about this 'cardozo' so I figured it was a top 20 school, and went to look it up on the rankings.  I was shocked to see it at number 58 on USNEWS. So what is it about this school that makes people still consider it against top 30's WITH money?

Clearly these schools have something going on to raise their place in people's choices... anyone know what this is?
It's in NYC, and when you look at the stats, that might be meaningful considering the high starting salaries. Of course, after paying rent and taxis, you'll be making less than an Ohio Public Defender intern, but you can at least tell mom and dad you are making $125 a year!

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2006, 05:48:14 PM »
Adama, I was with you until you said that schools like Forham "arent going to sit idly by as Cardozo tries to get their students." The reason I disagree is because that's what happened with me last year. I got accepted to Fordham, had sold myself on the school, and was all set to go there until I met with 1 of their admissions officers. To me, the meeting was just a formality, as I was sure that Fordham was the school for me. She made it clear that she didn't give a damn if I went there or not. When asking her basic questions like why I should consider Fordham over schools that offered me money (like BLS) she said "Umm.. look at the rankings." Then she handed me a pamphlet, said to go wander over to the law school building to take a self-guided tour, and then ushered me out the door. She was not willing to do anything to prevent her students from leaving for lower ranked schools. I should write her a letter one day thanking her for making my decision so easy.

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2006, 05:55:06 PM »
Adama, I was with you until you said that schools like Forham "arent going to sit idly by as Cardozo tries to get their students." The reason I disagree is because that's what happened with me last year. I got accepted to Fordham, had sold myself on the school, and was all set to go there until I met with 1 of their admissions officers. To me, the meeting was just a formality, as I was sure that Fordham was the school for me. She made it clear that she didn't give a damn if I went there or not. When asking her basic questions like why I should consider Fordham over schools that offered me money (like BLS) she said "Umm.. look at the rankings." Then she handed me a pamphlet, said to go wander over to the law school building to take a self-guided tour, and then ushered me out the door. She was not willing to do anything to prevent her students from leaving for lower ranked schools. I should write her a letter one day thanking her for making my decision so easy.

It not the individual they that matter to the rankings its the overall group.  Of course fordham loses a few qualified candidates per year that's why they accept more students than can enroll.  Your withdrawl was all within their actuarial prediction... :o

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »

It not the individual they that matter to the rankings its the overall group.  Of course fordham loses a few qualified candidates per year that's why they accept more students than can enroll.  Your withdrawl was all within their actuarial prediction... :o

Every school over-admits b/c students get accepted to more than 1 school, so they can't expect all of them attend. However, they can retain those that show up to a visit having already decided that you are their #1 choice. The way to do this is to hire competent employees that actually care about who attends their school. In my opinion, Fordham is lacking in this area. Yes, some students will turn you down, but you don't need to increase this number. Some better supervision or more careful hiring practices would have filtered out employees like this woman (a young Fordham grad, by the way) that project a negative image of their school.

Mr. Pink

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »

Every school over-admits b/c students get accepted to more than 1 school, so they can't expect all of them attend. However, they can retain those that show up to a visit having already decided that you are their #1 choice. The way to do this is to hire competent employees that actually care about who attends their school. In my opinion, Fordham is lacking in this area. Yes, some students will turn you down, but you don't need to increase this number. Some better supervision or more careful hiring practices would have filtered out employees like this woman (a young Fordham grad, by the way) that project a negative image of their school.

Bad employees are the result of students (not you) who choose a school based solely on rank.  The admission staff knows that few students choose a school based on other factors besides rank.  Therefore they can be confident that students will come to their school regarless of any other factors (besides money).  Until students behave differently, adcomm won't.

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2006, 08:25:53 PM »
OK. You clearly don't get the point of my argument. Yes, most students pick schools based (at least mostly) on rank. But your quote that schools "arent going to sit idly by as Cardozo tries to get their students" is incorrect because they clearly have. Their complacency & unwillingness to go the extra mile are evident. Now, as for how many students will actually go elsewhere, that's a different issue. The point is, they are sitting idly by as other schools make active attempts to pluck away their students.

Mr. Pink

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »
OK. You clearly don't get the point of my argument. Yes, most students pick schools based (at least mostly) on rank. But your quote that schools "arent going to sit idly by as Cardozo tries to get their students" is incorrect because they clearly have. Their complacency & unwillingness to go the extra mile are evident. Now, as for how many students will actually go elsewhere, that's a different issue. The point is, they are sitting idly by as other schools make active attempts to pluck away their students.

ok that might be true of Fordham (comfortable in its 3 position in NYC) but nationally if Cardozo makes any strong gains, schools will react.  But in the rankings game it is HARD to make any headway in T50.  Lsat, gpa, and reputation do not change significantly from year to year.

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2006, 09:38:35 PM »

ok that might be true of Fordham (comfortable in its 3 position in NYC) but nationally if Cardozo makes any strong gains, schools will react.  But in the rankings game it is HARD to make any headway in T50.  Lsat, gpa, and reputation do not change significantly from year to year.

Never says it wasn't. You might want to concentrate more on hearing other people's arguments than on trying to combat them and win.

Mr. Pink

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »

Never says it wasn't. You might want to concentrate more on hearing other people's arguments than on trying to combat them and win.
???...just putting forth my argument...

as436

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2006, 02:04:57 AM »
why would u turn down fordham for brooklyn... i hope u got a full ride