Law School Discussion

Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »
This thread is a little like "OMG!!!11 byu DOESN'T allow students to bring alcohol to law student events!!!! holy crap!"

Agree 100%.  It doesnt seem to hurt them in the rankings that they are closed on the Sabbath.  Im sure that people who attend Cardozo and want to study on the Sabbath have figured out a way to. 

Back to the main topic - Fordham is also affected by location.  A lot of people with great scores and rejection letters from CLS and NYU choose to go to fordham and cardozo, thereby raising their scores.  Make perfect sense.  If you want to work in the NYC legal community, it's probably better if you come out of Cardozo then a higher ranked school in another market.  Cardozo should have a great support network since most of its graduate (making assumption) would stay in NYC market because job prospect are hard nationally for non T14 schools.  Columbia and NYU send their graduates all across the country but cardozo graduates are concentrated in NYU giving them great alumni network in 30 yrs.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »
Yes, you can access Lexis & Westlaw from home. Your school pays for your membership (at least at Brooklyn they do), so everyone gets their own Lexis & Westlaw passwords. 98% of the studying that I do in the library doesn't involve particular resources like looking through law journals & reporters. Especially as a 1L, that stuff only really comes up with your Legal Writing papers & a couple random assignments. My dependence upon the library being open 7 days a week is just a comfort issue. That is where I study best. When I'm at home with my TV, satellite radio, and XBOX I find that I just don't focus as well (for some reason. ha). When I'm in the library, I know it's time to do work. If you find other places that work for you, then that's great. It would suck for me if the library was closed on Saturdays b/c I'm unlikely to travel to distant public libraries (especially if I was just out on Fri night) & Starbucks is too loud/ the tables are too small.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 10:07:21 PM »
Cardozo also has staunch support from the NYC Jewish community.  That is a very powerful factor.  I know several people who went to Cardozo over Fordham b/c it was a family tradition to attend Cardozo.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 10:14:08 PM »
Cardozo also has staunch support from the NYC Jewish community.  That is a very powerful factor.  I know several people who went to Cardozo over Fordham b/c it was a family tradition to attend Cardozo.

Can't be a very long tradition. They were established in the 1970s!

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 10:50:28 PM »
1976.  Not that long ago, but long enough to establish a bit of a foothold, particularly in some Jewish families.  Plus, lots of Jewish families have ties to Yeshiva, and as such, want to maintain those ties through Cardozo.   

I have recruited several attorneys who - along with their siblings and other immediate family members - all went to either Yeshiva or Cardozo proper.  These are, by and large, attorneys from Jewish families. 

For having only been 'recently' established, Cardozo is ranked very highly.

as436

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 11:19:18 PM »
cardozo's numbers (median lsat and gpa) have been steadily increasing for the past few years... i think they are up to 164 as a median.. they have great faculty and US News even has them in top 5 for IP Law and something else (i dunno how much that really means tho)...
The admissions guy, rob shwartz really pours his soul into the school.. i had a 30 min convo with him at the forum i went to...

what i think is funny tho is in the stuff they send u after u get admitted, how they brag about their #s going up so fast, but then they say "we look beyond the numbers" really? you are telling me you would reject a 170/4.0 for ANY reason?... Its really annoying when number-oriented schools like Georgetown and Cardozo claim to look beyond the numbers... look at their graphs!

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2006, 07:37:14 AM »

My thought is that if you are paying 30k to go to one of two Jewish law schools in the whole freakin' country you can deal with not going to the library on Saturday.

What's the other Jewish law school?

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2006, 08:32:55 AM »
what i think is funny tho is in the stuff they send u after u get admitted, how they brag about their #s going up so fast, but then they say "we look beyond the numbers" really? you are telling me you would reject a 170/4.0 for ANY reason?... Its really annoying when number-oriented schools like Georgetown and Cardozo claim to look beyond the numbers... look at their graphs!

Cardozo is a tier 2 school, why would it reject anyone with 170/4.0, even if they do indeed look beyond the numbers?

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 03:17:02 PM »

My thought is that if you are paying 30k to go to one of two Jewish law schools in the whole freakin' country you can deal with not going to the library on Saturday.

What's the other Jewish law school?

Touro

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Both in NY state.