Law School Discussion

Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?

yiplong

• View Profile
Re: Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
Since people are so concerned about library closures, can someone tell me exactly how important is law library to our daily study routine?  If the library is closed, can't we study in our homes? (provided it is quiet)

PS: I live in Brooklyn, I would hate to travel to Manhattan on weekends to use Cardozo's library facilities. 

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 02:32:28 PM »
Does anyone else think the library thing would make them crazy? I think it would drive me to insanity.

As to the draw of Cardozo...not only is it in NYC, but there's a lot of really interesting stuff going on there - they get great speakers, etc. - AND they seem to be catapulting their way up the rankings - their position is pretty impressive for a school that's only 30 years old. I fully expect it to be very well recognized school in another 10-20 years.

On the other hand...at the moment it seems a great many people have never heard of it. and, at only 30 years old, you know it can't have a very strong alumni network.

but. more than all of that - religious affiliation or not...how can they close the library for an enitre day every week and not expect people to go insane?

if you can't go 1 day a week without studying, you need a psychologist, not a library. for one thing, who is supposed to work in the library on saturday? who is going to study there?

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »
 [/quote]

The library may have some things you don't have at home, like books, computers, and an internet connection. I don't know if law schools allow students to access things like nexis and westlaw off campus. If someone knows, please enlighten me. Some people have no interest in studying at home. Here are some reasons:

Significant other
Child/children
uncomfortable studying environment
[/quote]

You can access nexis and westlaw from your home.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »
Does anyone else think the library thing would make them crazy? I think it would drive me to insanity.

As to the draw of Cardozo...not only is it in NYC, but there's a lot of really interesting stuff going on there - they get great speakers, etc. - AND they seem to be catapulting their way up the rankings - their position is pretty impressive for a school that's only 30 years old. I fully expect it to be very well recognized school in another 10-20 years.

On the other hand...at the moment it seems a great many people have never heard of it. and, at only 30 years old, you know it can't have a very strong alumni network.

but. more than all of that - religious affiliation or not...how can they close the library for an enitre day every week and not expect people to go insane?

if you can't go 1 day a week without studying, you need a psychologist, not a library. for one thing, who is supposed to work in the library on saturday? who is going to study there?

Fwiw, lots of my law school friends (wait, all of them) study on Saturdays, and many of them at their school's library.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 03:25:02 PM »

not without a username......??  Am I wrong about this??  These are pay services, no?

That's part of what you are paying for through tuition/library fees to your school.  EVERY law student has access to these sites.

tobias

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
Just got back from Brooklyn Law school to see the campus and I took a look around the library and guess what?  There were people studying!!!  And I would venture to guess there were also people studying there on Saturday.  There were people eating on campus and people socializing in front of the building.  To me, this is a big part of the law school experience and bottom line is that if I'm going to spend a lot of time studying I want to do it in a nice facility with  my classmates in a place that is conducive to studying.  Soooo my thought is that if I'm paying 30k for law school they could hire some people to keep the library open on Saturdays.  Just my .02.  By the way BLS library was impressive.

They are being principled, not cheap.

I had a great feeling about BLS when I toured there - I'm *really* hoping to get in, it's my (realistic) first choice, but I feel my chances are decreasing with every passing day. Let's hope not!

tobias

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 04:23:08 PM »

not without a username......??  Am I wrong about this??  These are pay services, no?

That's part of what you are paying for through tuition/library fees to your school.  EVERY law student has access to these sites.

Right, but you could only access them through on-campus computers (those in the library, for example) is what I meant.... Thats how my UG library was, anyway.... You had to be in an on-campus comp. lab or library to use Lexis.

You can access them from your home. I'm searching nexis as I write this and I'm at home. It may not be true absolutely everywhere, but I confirmed this when I was touring Brooklyn and Cardozo.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »

Fwiw, lots of my law school friends (wait, all of them) study on Saturdays, and many of them at their school's library.

I too sometimes study on Saturday, but it's abusrd to act like not being able to go to the library one day out of the week will "drive people insane"

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »
Just got back from Brooklyn Law school to see the campus and I took a look around the library and guess what?  There were people studying!!!  And I would venture to guess there were also people studying there on Saturday.  There were people eating on campus and people socializing in front of the building.  To me, this is a big part of the law school experience and bottom line is that if I'm going to spend a lot of time studying I want to do it in a nice facility with  my classmates in a place that is conducive to studying.  Soooo my thought is that if I'm paying 30k for law school they could hire some people to keep the library open on Saturdays.  Just my .02.  By the way BLS library was impressive.

My thought is that if you are paying 30k to go to one of two Jewish law schools in the whole freakin' country you can deal with not going to the library on Saturday. There are 185 other law schools with libraries open on Saturday

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »
This thread is a little like "OMG!!!11 byu DOESN'T allow students to bring alcohol to law student events!!!! holy crap!"