Law School Discussion

Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why is Cardozo regarded so highly?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 11:12:31 PM »
I am one of these people debating cardozo (with $) v. a higher ranked school..my hometown is NYC and i would like to be back..and i could live at home...and its still a good enough school and has good enough placement where its an option up against the higher ranked school whereas a tier 3 or 4 wouldnt be such an option

and yeah, the ave. LSAT score for cardozo/bklyn is the same as much higher ranked schools not in NYC..so annoying!

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »
Yeah I've taken the tour....it's closed Saturday bc of the Jewish religion, I think maybe Friday night too?

Squee!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 12:30:28 AM »
Does anyone else think the library thing would make them crazy? I think it would drive me to insanity.

As to the draw of Cardozo...not only is it in NYC, but there's a lot of really interesting stuff going on there - they get great speakers, etc. - AND they seem to be catapulting their way up the rankings - their position is pretty impressive for a school that's only 30 years old. I fully expect it to be very well recognized school in another 10-20 years.

On the other hand...at the moment it seems a great many people have never heard of it. and, at only 30 years old, you know it can't have a very strong alumni network.

but. more than all of that - religious affiliation or not...how can they close the library for an enitre day every week and not expect people to go insane?

krumanadi

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 01:45:42 AM »
Well I applied to all of my other schools in October and November, but I think I'm going to apply to Cardozo tonight?  I heard a rumor that their library is closed on Saturdays to observe the Jewish religion.  Can someone confirm or deny this?   ???

Sundown friday night to sundown saturday night.  Not sure if it opens after sundown saturday or if they just close it all day for good measure. 

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 08:49:57 AM »
Does anyone else think the library thing would make them crazy? I think it would drive me to insanity.

As to the draw of Cardozo...not only is it in NYC, but there's a lot of really interesting stuff going on there - they get great speakers, etc. - AND they seem to be catapulting their way up the rankings - their position is pretty impressive for a school that's only 30 years old. I fully expect it to be very well recognized school in another 10-20 years.

On the other hand...at the moment it seems a great many people have never heard of it. and, at only 30 years old, you know it can't have a very strong alumni network.

but. more than all of that - religious affiliation or not...how can they close the library for an enitre day every week and not expect people to go insane?

I expect its way up from its current position to the top 30 be a lot harder, because it will be competing with much better schools. 

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 08:59:36 AM »
Can someone confirm or deny this?

It's actually closed Friday night up until the end of the Sabbath which is Saturday early evening depending on the season. Think of it as an opportunity to have a social life for a few hours in New York city.

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
As someone living in NYC, I don't think there are an abundance of places to go and study....  The whole library thing is the reason I didn't apply in the first place.  I mean lets be realistic, studying will be neccessary on Saturdays and I am one of those people who gets nothing done in my apartment-- too distracting.  So now I'm supposed to pay 30k a year to go to this institution and go and study at NYU or in the public library?

Cardozo is in a great location.  In my ideal world I'd be at the library for a few hours on Saturday with other law students and maybe hit one of the local bars for a couple of beers Saturday night.  I have no problem with religous affiliation, but this school is relatively diverse and a library is an important part of a law school.  In my mind, this is unacceptable.

YU is centrist Orthodox (although leaning more to the right in recent years) and all the graduate schools follow the dietary and sabbath laws in anything "official" - believe me, I doubt this will ever change. They are also off every Jewish holiday with work restrictions; during the academic year there are  11-13 depending on how they fall in a given year. If you don't observe them, think of it as a few needed days off. I don't think the library thing is that a big a deal, but then I wouldn't be there anyway so maybe it's more important to some people than I appreciate. There are other places to study and they give you passes for other law libraries in the area if you want.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
is it really THAT big a deal that its closed 1.5 days pers week? the public library is like one subway stop away. i think you can manage 36 hours of studying in an environment that isnt the school's library

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
is it really THAT big a deal that its closed 1.5 days pers week? the public library is like one subway stop away. i think you can manage 36 hours of studying in an environment that isnt the school's library

NYC public libraries suck, for real.  They are no place to study.  But maybe thsoe in Manhattan is better?

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
okay that was just one example..but not only can you just go to a diff school's library or just study in a place that may be even closer to your appt (b/c If i end up going to cardozo I will be living in queens and commuting to save the cash). its ONE DAY. people are acting like the library closes every day at 1pm or something.  get over it