Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Feeling down about your score?  (Read 872 times)

johnab

• View Profile
Feeling down about your score?
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
Hey all,

I don't typically post much on the forums here but I have seen a lot of posts from disappointed people over the last 24 hours and having experienced what they experienced back in December I thought I might tell you about my experience. It might resonate with you, it might not...

In December I took the LSAT and scored a 155 and was absolutely shocked when I received the email. Turned out I had bombed the logic games and a good portion of the RC on the exam. I felt like a complete fool afterwards because I had been telling people that I had probably gotten a score in the Mid-160's (where my diags had been). I had been so sure in my abilities that I had already sent out a bunch of applications to top schools. After a couple days of feeling depressed and sorry for myself I gathered myself together and decided I would give it another go.

I'm glad I did, I scored a 164 the second time around. (From 65th to 91st percentile).

Here is what helped me the second time around:

- I kept balance in my life. For the december test I was so focused on the test that I had blotted out other important parts of my usual routine (exercise, faith-based activities, and just getting out and having fun). For the February test I kept my studying to 2-3 hrs/day about 3 days a week. That seemed to give me time to focus on studying, let the material soak in, and then I'd continue a day or two later and do better.

- I realized I don't like Testmasters. I took testmasters before the december test. Though it may work great for some people, I think you can get most (if not all) of what they teach in the Powerscore Bibles. I only used the Logic Games Bible for the February test and it was easier to understand then the testmasters lectures. Testmasters overwhelms you with so much material and the lectures are so compressed with so much information that I remembered the class was just moving too fast for my tastes. The bibles allow you to pace yourself which is really invaluable and while they lack in the overall quantity of problems, I think you can pick up some sample LSAT's and drill yourself on problem areas. Last but not least, did i mention you can get both bibles for 100 bucks vs 1000 for the testmasters class?

- I made sure I GOT Logic Games. I did every single freaking type of logic game I could get my hands on. The testmasters material had a good number of these but again its quality not quantity. Ideally, you want to get yourself to a point where you can read the rules for a game and see the structure... I wasn't there in December but I did cross this point between December and February and I have a feeling thats a big part of what helped with my score.

- Invest in one of those Silent Timers. These things were great for letting me pace myself on my practice exams before the test. I did use it on the first test day, but not on the second test day (LSAC supposedly barred them and I didnt want to deal with any suspicion from the proctors). Regardless, they are helpful at making you a faster test-taker but a word of caution: remember its all about the number you get RIGHT not the number of questions you answer. On my December exam I got through every single question, on every single section, thus leading to my overconfidence. On the second exam I had to guess on at least 6 questions, but I got a greater number of questions right.

- I learned that Test Location is big. I took the first test at UCLA --> very small desks that I could barely fit the test booklets on. My second test was at the USC law school--> taken in a moot court classroom with huge desks, comfy chairs, and a visible clock that told us exactly how much time was left. Kaplan has a site where students rate the different testing locations. I hope someone can post it on here, because its a great tool to find the right testing location.

- Lastly remember its just a test and not a measure of how "smart" or "intelligent" you or anyone else is. Regardless of what they say, this test can be "learned", it just takes the time and effort to do it. Don't put undo pressure on yourself, don't let it break you-- your better than that.

Thats all for now. I hope other people can post some of their own study strategies in this thread. Best of luck to those who have applied and those was are taking the exam in June!
John

charlieh

• View Profile
Re: Feeling down about your score?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
Thank you for telling us about your experience.  I knew that I couldn't be the only one that this happened to.  I also know that I'm capable of a lot more.  In fact, I still can't believe my score and do feel ashamed of my performance.  But, I think that I've gotten this out of the way, if I take it next fall, I won't be as nervous.  I can't possibly be more dissapointed than I am now.  Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

d_y_ze

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
I agree, I think it's important to keep balance during your studying. I dropped everything for the 3 weeks I studied.. when the time came around, the build up was enormous and I choked. Another piece of advice I wish I had heeded: don't study the day or two before the test.. I was reviewing right up to that morning.. by the hours of actual test, I was burnt out. Most important: relax and believe in yourself. See you retakers in June.

Hey all,

I don't typically post much on the forums here but I have seen a lot of posts from disappointed people over the last 24 hours and having experienced what they experienced back in December I thought I might tell you about my experience. It might resonate with you, it might not...

In December I took the LSAT and scored a 155 and was absolutely shocked when I received the email. Turned out I had bombed the logic games and a good portion of the RC on the exam. I felt like a complete fool afterwards because I had been telling people that I had probab;y gotten a score in the Mid-160's (where my diags had been). I had been so sure in my abilities that I had already sent out a bunch of applications to top schools. After a couple days of feeling depressed and sorry for myself I gathered myself together and decided I would give it another go. I'm glad I did, I scored a 164 the second time around. (From 65th to 91st percentile).

Here is what helped me the second time around:

- I kept balance in my life. For the december test I was so focused on the test that I had blotted out other important parts of my usual routine (exercise, faith-based activities, and just getting out and having fun). For the February test I kept my studying to 2-3 hrs/day about 3 days a week. That seemed to give me time to focus on studying, let the material soak in, and then I'd continue a day or two later and do better.

- I took testmasters before the december test. Though it may work great for some people, I think you can get most (if not all) of what they teach in the Powerscore Bibles. I only used the Logic Games Bible for the February test and it was easier to understand then the testmasters lectures. Testmasters overwhelms you with material and the lectures are so compressed with so much information that I remembered the class was just moving too fast for my tastes. The bibles allow you to pace yourself which is really invaluable. Oh and did i mention you can get both bibles for 100 bucks vs 1000 for the testmasters class?

- Logic Games were my weakness. So I did every single freaking type of logic game I could get my hands on. The testmasters material had a good number of these. Ideally you want to get yourself to a point where you can read the rules for a game and see the structure... I wasn't there in December but I did cross this point between December and February and I have a feeling thats a big part of what helped with my score.

- Invest in one of those Silent Timers. These things were great for letting me pace myself on my practice exams before the test. I did use it on the first test day, but not on the second test day (LSAC supposedly barred them and I didnt want to deal with any suspicion from the proctors). Regardless, they are helpful at making you a faster test-taker but remember its all about the number you get RIGHT not the number of questions you answer. Case in point, on the second exam I had to guess on at least 6 questions, but I got a greater number of questions right.

- Test Location is big. I took the first test at UCLA --> very small desks that I could barely fit the test booklets on. My second test was at the USC law school--> taken in a moot court classroom with huge desks, comfy chairs, and a visible clock that told us exactly how much time was left. Kaplan has a site where students rate the different testing locations. I hope someone can post it on here, because its a great tool to find the right testing location.

- Lastly remember its just a test and not a measure of how "smart" or "intelligent" you or anyone else is. Regardless of what they say, this test can be "learned", it just takes the time and effort to do it.

Thats all for now. I hope other people can post some of their own study strategies in this thread. Best of luck to those who have applied and those was are taking the exam in June!
John

natalieag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »
John, thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  I've been basically crying since i got my score last night.  I felt good about it on the day of the test and usually scored 167, so I thought I might have even done a little better than that, I was hoping for a 170 or so.  I have a 3.7, and I thought that even though I might just go to a local school (ASU, not uprooting my whole family etc), that if I scored well I would be likely to get some scholarship money.  I felt like I was in a nightmare when I saw a big "156" in the box last night.  I just don't know what happened, especially since I felt pretty good about it.  I feel like such a failure and loser, especially to all my family etc who expected a lot better results, not that they would ever try and make me feel that way, they are very supportive.  I just wanted to say thank you for your time...I really don't know if I'm going to try again or not, maybe this is just not meant to be.  I have three little kids at home and maybe this is a sign.  Just thanks for taking the time, congrats on your improvement and good luck in the future.  Natalie

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
Hi John,

You gave some very solid advice in your post.

The only thing that I have to add to your posting (aside from agreeing with you on all your points) is that you need time --- you cannot effectively prepare in two months time (my opinion) and if you steadily study over a four, six or even a nine month period, you will "win the LSAT race"...My score went from 152 to 174 in a five month time span. If you have the chance to spread out your studies over several months, no less than four month...do it!

I started in October to prepare for December. I did not take December and waited for February. I am going to take the test again in June because I want a 180...LOL...my crazy personal goal. I am publishing a study guide and need that highest score to add to my credibility!

I have already been admitted and so the second score is not going to affect anything...just for my own pesonal use. :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Rooster

• Sr. Citizen
  • This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »
sunfun, That's quite an improvement.  Can you send me your study guide?  I've improved to low 160s, as you can see from my sig, but I want 170+ :)
In ^_^= UConn, UCLA, Temple, Quinnipiac
Out, el oh el= BC, Georgetown, Michigan

lsatflunkie

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »
Thanks for your insightful post. 

I didn't expect much more than I scored- but I did have hope.  After reading your post, I realize that I was completely burnt out- I spent the month of January studying- A LOT- but that's it.  Kaplan course was a waste of my money- I want my money back, in fact.  So much for their "higher score guarantee"  I went down in my practice tests- but scored 2 points higher than THE diagnostic they use as teh baseline.  I was expecting at least a 5 point increase from their course.  sigh.....

Natalie- I'm sorry you're so upset.  I cannot say that I'm in the same boat as you because I never scored where I wanted to be- but that puts me in a worse position than you b/c at least you've scored NEAR where you want to be.  Are you retaking??

johnab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:56:22 AM »
John, thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  I've been basically crying since i got my score last night.  I felt good about it on the day of the test and usually scored 167, so I thought I might have even done a little better than that, I was hoping for a 170 or so.  I have a 3.7, and I thought that even though I might just go to a local school (ASU, not uprooting my whole family etc), that if I scored well I would be likely to get some scholarship money.  I felt like I was in a nightmare when I saw a big "156" in the box last night.  I just don't know what happened, especially since I felt pretty good about it.  I feel like such a failure and loser, especially to all my family etc who expected a lot better results, not that they would ever try and make me feel that way, they are very supportive.  I just wanted to say thank you for your time...I really don't know if I'm going to try again or not, maybe this is just not meant to be.  I have three little kids at home and maybe this is a sign.  Just thanks for taking the time, congrats on your improvement and good luck in the future.  Natalie

Natalie,
I am really touched. I really think nerves play a big part on the first time we take the test.. your diags show that YOU CAN hit 167. So I am sure you can do it on test day. How were your nerves on test day? Was anything out of the ordinary?

Hang in there.. :)
-John

natalieag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »
Thanks so much for your kind words guys...I wish I had some compelling explanation as to what happened that day..I think the thing that haunts me the most is that I DID feel good about it, and that kind of freaks me out.  I still am unsure what my course is from here, but I have decided that IF I am going to law school, I'm not doing it like this, I'm going to retake.  I know that I ran out of time completely on the logic games, and I thought I whipped through the last few, but obviously I fell for the "close but not quite" answers.  I"m not telling ANYONE this time, because feeling that I disappointed everyone was horrible.  I just feel like such a loser.  I'm sorry that some of you know exactly what I'm feeling!  If I take it again, I think the games are what I need to concentrate on.  I can always figure them out, but not sometimes in the time given.  Reading comp/logic I usually only miss one or two, although I must have tanked them somewhat too.  Any suggestions for study plans are appreciated... (looks like I'm moving towards retaking in one paragraph doesn't it?)  Thanks again, Natalie