Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weird Phone Survey  (Read 445 times)

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
Weird Phone Survey
« on: February 25, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
I just got a phone call from some guy claiming to be doing a survey of people who have or are likely to apply to law schools. He asked a bunch of questions about where I had applied and which schools were my first and second choices. Supposedly they are going to pay me $10.  Frankly, I'm suspicious of the whole thing. Would law schools be so sneaky as to conduct phone surveys to see where people applied? It's too bad I'm always nice to the annoying telemarketers. I should have just said "not interested **click**." Not that it really matters if any of the schools know that I applied to most all of the T14 + Texas.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

student

Re: Weird Phone Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »
I got this kind of call starting from Valentine's day. In the first call, the lady announced the terms ($25 reward plus they would not call me again) and then proceeded with the questions without even asking if I would like to participate. I told her that I did not have time, and then she apologized and hang up.

But they kept calling me. I missed most of their calls. The last lady I spoke to did basically the same thing as the first lady, announcing the terms, still $25 but pending on my eligibility, proceeding with the questions without asking my permission. When I asked her to send me the survey along with the terms in written form, she balked and we hang up.

serpentstooth

• Sr. Citizen
  • c'est moi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 02:45:18 PM »
I got that call, too, and at first I freaked out because I thought it must be a law school calling.  If you google the phone number, though, it turns out that it really is some kind of research place, so I don't think we have to worry about some sneaky law school getting ahold of the results and using them to make decisions  :)
YLS 09

vrm083

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »
Unless a law school hired the research place...
HARVARD!

aac2022

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 04:11:26 PM »
I decided to take the survey because I was extremely bored.  From the questions it sounded like it may have been coming from Duke.  Many of the questions asked about Duke and how it compared to other schools.  The real question however, is where is my $25?
Accepted: GULC, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Penn, Chicago, Columbia
Denied: Stanford
Waitlisted: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aac2022

serpentstooth

• Sr. Citizen
  • c'est moi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »

Sounds like maybe there were a couple of different companies doing the survey or something, then; mine asked where I had applied, who I had done research on, and what my top picks were of the places I applied to.

But then, mine only said $10, too, so maybe I was robbed...
YLS 09

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:33 PM »