Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Outlines and Hornbooks  (Read 5901 times)

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Outlines and Hornbooks
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
I decided to read some of the outlines for 1L classes this summer.  Some old outlines (older editions, not used current edition) can be bought at cheaper price, like $8-10.  Are these okay?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 09:32:19 AM »
I will read them as I ride to work on the subway.  Kills time efficiently.  ;D

pantone292

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 09:26:29 PM »
I decided to read some of the outlines for 1L classes this summer.  Some old outlines (older editions, not used current edition) can be bought at cheaper price, like $8-10.  Are these okay?

Sure, if you really want to read them, its not like the law changes alot year to year (at least not 1st year classes).

to resurrect an older thread --
does anyone know if this holds for hornbooks as well?  I was given hand-me-down hornbooks but they're about 10 years old -- any ideas if they'll be useful, or is that just too long?  I would love to save some money if possible.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 10:17:52 PM »
bump for school.  thanx guys.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
BAFF
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)

TheFool08

• View Profile
    • The Official Website of Brian J. Leung
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 12:52:27 AM »

Sure, if you really want to read them, its not like the law changes alot year to year (at least not 1st year classes).

to resurrect an older thread --
does anyone know if this holds for hornbooks as well?  I was given hand-me-down hornbooks but they're about 10 years old -- any ideas if they'll be useful, or is that just too long?  I would love to save some money if possible.

I personally always buy the newest edition of any hornbook, and I do NOT buy any commercial outlines.  The reason I buy the newest hornbooks is because the law DOES change at least a little from year to year - and you never know if your professor is incorporating updated cases or not.  The reason I don't buy commercial outlines is because they're just not tailored enough to your specific professor.  In torts, for example, our professor, being one of the leading insurance experts in the nation, focused a lot on damages and the economic impact of any potential tort, and who should bear the burden and such.  Commercial outlines can't guess what your professor will teach.  Furthermore, by forcing myself to make my own outline results in me reviewing my notes, briefs, and casebook very thoroughly, which I think proves to be helpful for exams.  That said, I do like using old outlines as a starting point.  The noncompetitive nature of my school enables folks to share current and old outlines, so I grab those outlines for my specific professors and see where to go from there.

Pre-Ls, my suggestion is to stop buying these things before law school starts.  Your mind is simply not trained to analyze legally (no offense), and you don't know what your specific professor will want from you.  You'll be studying and practicing the law for the rest of your lives - take this summer off. 
2L:  University of Virginia School of Law

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 08:22:56 AM »
I do; however, think there are some very beneficial, but not near as fun ,pre-reading for law school that CAN be done, and SHOULD be done before law school, but buying/reading supplements now is definitely NOT one of them.

Dude, you can't just leave us hanging like that...
Emory '09

LSN

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 01:55:20 PM »
tag

student

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »
IL Duce Matthies:

Do you think the news articles written by the Associated Press meet the requirement of legal writing? They are so simply written that I only need to read once to understand everything. I can not say the same thing about many other writings, including those by English professors.   

By the way, I really liked your posts. They are so informative and helpful!

Best,

Student

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
baff'ing this gem!
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda