Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worst 3 Things about each T14  (Read 56531 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worst 3 Things about each T14
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2006, 03:59:21 PM »
Columbia:
1. It's in New York City.
2. It has one of the least student-centered buildings in the T14.
3. No, seriously, think about it for a second: it's in New York City.

1 & 3 are possibly the best things that any law school could have going for it.  you lose 2 points for putting them as worst things.

If you hate NY, you suck.

blah. It sucks as a law student.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

liz1234

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
whether a school's location is an advantage/disadvantage almost entirely depends on personal preference.  Cambridge can be seen either as a huge plus or a huge minus - ditto for Greenwich Village, Palo Alto etc.  While I doubt that New Haven is ever seen as Yale's greatest advantage, one's view of it is mostly personal taste

But to contribute a couple opinions:
Harvard: the size can be a disadvantage for someone who comes to law school without really knowing why s/he is there.  If you're just putting off the real world, it's easier to get lost or end up aimless in a larger school.  Some friends have noted that which section you end up in can make a difference in your experience - the small size of sections may make it harder to find someone you click with in your section (although I suppose that element of luck is the same type of issue one would face at a smaller school)

Yale: I'm surprised no one's mentioned either the cliquey/high-school like atmosphere among students or the schmoozy atmosphere between students and profs.  Those are far and away the two most repeated complaints I've heard from friends there.  Those with specific interests may find it harder to find niche classes or profs with whom to work.

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
practiceboy, i LOVE your avatar

Thanks  :D

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 05:39:29 PM »
practiceboy, i LOVE your avatar

Thanks  :D
Yay, BravoTV.

Don't hate me for probably wanting Daniel to win.
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
Chicago's deep dish pizza is so much better than that greasy paper-thin cardboard stuff they serve in the northeast, it's not even worth having a discussion.  You're right about DC pizza though, it's pathetic.  As for the T-14 that I know a damn thing about:

Columbia:
1) You have to do 15 minutes of research to figure out whether or not to address their dean of admissions as "Mr." or "Ms."
2) When they waitlist you, they call your category "reserve," a la a fine wine, as opposed to the fine bottle of urine that it really is
3) Judge Alito voted "Most Handsome Columbia Law Grad of the past 50 years" by US Weekly

UChicago:
1) If you need glasses but refuse to wear ones with thick dark rims, you'll have a hard time making friends
2) If you ever leave your bookbag outside, you run the risk of finding BOTH fellow students and homeless guys pissing on your books
3) The university pub doesn't serve whiskey, on the supposedly "Irish" southside - give me a break!

UVA:
1) Its intellectual horizon hits a brick wall at the Mason-Dixon line
2) Frat boys steal that jack-o-lantern that took you three hours to carve
3) It's been over 20 years since Ralph Sampson graduated

Northwestern:
1) Their interviews could be done more knowledgeably and personably by Claire, the automated voice of Sprint
2) Attempts at expressing pride in their athletic programs are inevitably followed by wishy-washy qualifications
3) Their refusal to publish class rank lets everybody truly believe that "they're #1!"

Georgetown:
1) Not actually in Georgetown, one of the few presentable parts of DC
2) Your class is not only the same size as Congress, but is capable of exuding equivalent amounts of hot air
3) They insist that students wear uncomfortable Hoya collars at all times for identification purposes
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
I live in West Haven now, New Haven isn't bad at all. Then again, I have actual experience there, and all of you are just making assumptions.

I lived 30 minutes from new haven for 18 years. It sucks.

In your opinion.  I just wanted to let people know that not EVERYONE dislikes New Haven.

that's true- i have a friend from high school who went to yale for undergrad, and she thinks it's the greatest place on earth...  to each his own, i guess. 
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

check01

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2006, 02:16:52 AM »
Cornell:

1) Who?
2) Where?
3) Wha?

Duke:

1) The zombies are coming to get you.
2) Can't shake nagging feeling that "loving it here" is self-delusion bordering on psychotic.
3) Take the 13 other schools combined and you won't find as many people who hate them collectively as hate Duke.

Chicago:

1) Your classmates aren't as smart as they think they are.
2) Neither are you.
3) No time to think about that now, we have finals again this week.

NYU:

1) It takes longer than you think to get used to the smell of piss on the sidewalks.
2) High number of excellent campus bars make forays north infrequent.
3) Government interference in Wash. Sq. Park weed market greatly reduces incentive for excellent customer service.

val

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
Chicago:

1) Your classmates aren't as smart as they think they are.
2) Neither are you.
3) No time to think about that now, we have finals again this week.

i laughed at this.

me too  ;D

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »
Chicago's deep dish pizza is so much better than that greasy paper-thin cardboard stuff they serve in the northeast, it's not even worth having a discussion.  You're right about DC pizza though, it's pathetic.  As for the T-14 that I know a damn thing about:

Columbia:
1) You have to do 15 minutes of research to figure out whether or not to address their dean of admissions as "Mr." or "Ms."
2) When they waitlist you, they call your category "reserve," a la a fine wine, as opposed to the fine bottle of urine that it really is
3) Judge Alito voted "Most Handsome Columbia Law Grad of the past 50 years" by US Weekly

Isnt Alito a Yale Grad
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 10:24:14 AM »

Columbia:

Isnt Alito a Yale Grad

titcr