Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worst 3 Things about each T14  (Read 56300 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Worst 3 Things about each T14
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »
Chicago's deep dish pizza is so much better than that greasy paper-thin cardboard stuff they serve in the northeast, it's not even worth having a discussion.  You're right about DC pizza though, it's pathetic.  As for the T-14 that I know a damn thing about:

Columbia:
1) You have to do 15 minutes of research to figure out whether or not to address their dean of admissions as "Mr." or "Ms."
2) When they waitlist you, they call your category "reserve," a la a fine wine, as opposed to the fine bottle of urine that it really is
3) Judge Alito voted "Most Handsome Columbia Law Grad of the past 50 years" by US Weekly

Isnt Alito a Yale Grad

titcr

so, the most handsome columbia law grad in the past 50 years is not even a columbia law grad. 

doesn't that just make it worse?

181!

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
GULC:
1. It's in DC.
2. Can't be a good sign when one of the prof's admits that "students have been mugged" during the admitted students reception.
3. It's a good thing you're going to law school and will be able to defend yourself in court, because you'll have to sell heroin or commit fraud like everyone else to afford a place to live.

UVA
1. Wayyy-y-y too close to West Virginia!
2. Looks like a plantation, which is not good at all if you're black and wary of being in Virginia in the first place.
3. Local nightlife blows.

Columbia
1. Too close to Harlem...gentrification my ass!
2. See #3 on DC.
3. NYC hates you and your precious car.

UT-Austin
1. Ummm...
2. Well, uh...
3. Oh yeah, I'm not there  :(

God I miss Texas! *sniff*
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

3blindmice

• girl is FIRE in concert...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 04:39:08 AM »

UVA
1. Wayyy-y-y too close to West Virginia!
2. Looks like a plantation, which is not good at all if you're black and wary of being in Virginia in the first place.
3. Local nightlife blows.

Columbia
1. Too close to Harlem...gentrification my ass!
2. See #3 on DC.
3. NYC hates you and your precious car.

um, curious: if ur not black, why are u worried about UVA's plantation-like atmosphere's possible effect on black students? And if you are black, y are u hatin on harlem?
in: boalt, nyu, columbia, harvard, stanford, YALE!!!
in...later: northwestern ($$$$)
out: NOBODY
waiting: NOBODY

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=reutynwer

jtoro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »
Columbia:
1:) Would have to sell your soul to the devil to payback your loans. 
2:) It's in cold, impersonal ass New York city
3:) Everybody is but no one wants to admit that they're Harvard/Yale rejects. 

GULC:
1:) #1 of Columbia applies
2:) For some reason, it's not a part of the very nice and historic main campus.  Instead, they chose to place the LS in a more unsafe/ungentrified part of town. 
3:) It's huge (like 500 students) so it would be hard to develop a personal relationship with the professors, but, then again, this could be a positive; I heard they smell bad!

Harvard:
1:) They know you'd kill to go there, so when they reserve you, they tell you to go ahead and pay a deposit at another school if you don't hear by the deadline.  then, if they choose to let you in, they know you'd forgo that $ and pay another deposit at Harvard.  Pompous elites.
2:) People expect great things if you go to Harvard.  If you don't live up to these high expectations, you might develop a psychological complex later in life. 
3:) With the #3 of GULC applies here too.

Duke:
1:) They're doing construction at the school, so the atmosphere will be vitiated by drills, tractors and nails being hammered.
2:) They took freakin forever to get me my decision, which ended up being the dreaded waitlist.
3:) While salaries are comparable to other T14 schools, the number of employment recruiters is only about half of the average number for T14's.

Virginia:
1:) I wanted to go there, and they rejected me in their first round of rejects.  WTF?
2:) I didn't want to go there anyway!
3:) I wanted to go there and they rejected me in the first round.  WTF!

Yale:
1:) You have about as good a chance of getting in as you do of winning the powerball. 
2:) it's freakin' cold.
3:) You are at the number 1 LS in the country; therefore, your chances of ascending any further have been severely curtailed.  Soon, you find that it's lonely at the top (especially at a school with 150 kids). 

DISCLAIMER: this was all facetious banter. 

To Be: Georgetown, UGA($$), William and Mary($$), IU-B($$), Baylor($$), Mercer($$), UF.

or

Not to be: Virginia, Yale

Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Harvard

azdezza

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »
Duke:
1:) They're doing construction at the school, so the atmosphere will be vitiated by drills, tractors and nails being hammered. 2:) They took freakin forever to get me my decision, which ended up being the dreaded waitlist.
3:) While salaries are comparable to other T14 schools, the number of employment recruiters is only about half of the average number for T14's.

Actually, I was told that all the construction is complete... and it's very pretty I might add  ;)

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
Columbia:

I love how this doesn't apply to me.  :D

petitschoque

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2006, 07:52:04 PM »
I don't know what the OP's (of the comment you're referring to) intent was but I feel like responding:

um, curious: if ur not black, why are u worried about UVA's plantation-like atmosphere's possible effect on black students?

1. Some people aren't so myopic and self-centered that they can't be concerned about the experience of others on-campus.

And if you are black, y are u hatin on harlem?

2. Being black and having a soft spot for Harlem don't go hand in hand. They are two separate things.

3blindmice

• girl is FIRE in concert...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
I don't disagree...I was just curious to learn more about the poster's motivations for those comments, because I wouldn't expect those identities to be coupled with those views; but that hardly makes them invalid, and I didn't mean to suggest that. Notice I didn't say a non-Black person shouldn't care about UVA's campus appearance, or that a Black person shouldn't dislike Harlem.

I know all Black people don't necessarily like Harlem, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be surprised and interested in hearing more when/if one expresses that opinion. And I know a non-Black person is capable of sympathizing with the possible reactions and feelings of Black students toward UVA...but if that was the case, I was really really interested to find out from where that interest and compassion stemmed.

And really...if the poster had responded saying they weren't Black, I still would've been interested to hear their beef with harlem, and to know if they'd ever actually been there. Cause just as all Black people are not the same, all of Harlem does not fit the stereotype that some people might hold.
in: boalt, nyu, columbia, harvard, stanford, YALE!!!
in...later: northwestern ($$$$)
out: NOBODY
waiting: NOBODY

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=reutynwer

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 09:31:42 PM »
I think it's really weird that people bash Harlem. That may have been more apt 20 years ago, but the neighborhood has completely revitalized. Low crime, lots of new or renewed businesses and cultural attractions, and a great mix of people and community spirit. Harlem is great.
Columbia 2L.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2006, 11:14:50 PM »
Columbia:

i know i've said this again, but i can't say it enough.

once more for the record,

new york city is the most wonderful place in the world.  if you don't fall in love with the place, it may be an indicator that you have no soul.

Or no money...