Law School Discussion

"Mondays at Columbia"

nmprisons

• View Profile
    • LSN
"Mondays at Columbia"
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:34:03 PM »
I attended the "Mondays At Columbia" event this past Monday.  Overall, I was very impressed.  The admissions staff, faculty, and other staff that I met were genuinely helpful, engaging, and interesting.  I spoke with Dean Iwerebon who is insightful, honest, and pretty funny.

Highlights:  Columbia housing is a steal
                      The Criminal Law Class I sat in on was engaging

Lowlights:   While touring Columbia housing, three 0L kids basically barged into the woman's apartment I was viewing, were increadibly rude to her (interupting, not listening when she answered their questions) and then left abruptly, replacing "where is the gym" with the more conventional "thank you."  I hope that they end up going to NYU.

Re: "Mondays at Columbia"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend any of the admitted student days either, so I'd love to hear more about your impressions of Columbia's housing. Which buildings did you view? What did you think of each one?

jb1246a

• pandatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »
I attended the "Mondays At Columbia" event this past Monday.  Overall, I was very impressed.  The admissions staff, faculty, and other staff that I met were genuinely helpful, engaging, and interesting.  I spoke with Dean Iwerebon who is insightful, honest, and pretty funny.

Highlights:  Columbia housing is a steal
                      The Criminal Law Class I sat in on was engaging

Lowlights:   While touring Columbia housing, three 0L kids basically barged into the woman's apartment I was viewing, were increadibly rude to her (interupting, not listening when she answered their questions) and then left abruptly, replacing "where is the gym" with the more conventional "thank you."  I hope that they end up going to NYU.

Thanks for the update. On a side note, how do you pronounce Dean Iwerebon's name?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
I'm curious about which buildings you saw as well.  Some of the places are a lot more expensive than others, and I've heard that the majority of 1Ls end up at the more expensive dorms. 

nmprisons

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »
Let me give folks a little more info ...

First, I believe it is EE-where-eh-bon but I could be mistaken.  I am usually the type to simply not call someone's name instead of risk the mispronounciation.

I visited the main law school building.  It is recently built and very nice.  There are tons of comfortable places to relax and study.

I also saw apartments in two separate off-campus buildings.  I was looking at couples housing.  Both were very nice (for new york) and (relatively) affordable.  It was leaps and bounds ahead of the housing offered at other city schools I have visited and certainly above the no housing NYU offers.

I was particularly impressed by the staff at the school who were outgoing and willing to answer questions frankly and without speaking ill of other schools.

The students that I talked to were also informative.  I found them to be bright, but not awkward.  People seemed pleased with their experience at the school.  I didn't here anyone speak ill of Columbia or their choice to go there during my entire visit.  The closest thing to a negative I heard was a 2L wishing there waw more of a focus on PI from the students, but she said that there was tons of institutional support and resources.  

On a sidenote, I spoke with some members of the staff about clerking out of Columbia.  They said that the dean believes that Columbia, in the past, has not performed as well as they should have in the past and he has recently committed to putting additional resources towards ensuring students gain top clerkships.