nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tulane travel voucher
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
I got that email today... I'm also from CA.

I'll be taking them up on it in a few weeks most likely... you?

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:41:41 AM »
Nice.

I was already planning a visit myself, though I haven't RSVPed yet...but yeah, the voucher is pretty sweet. Tulane seems to be doing everything right... the voucher, and they already had a current 3L email me to talk about the school, and we ended up chatting about it on the phone for like an hour.  Their admitted students website is also nice.

At this point, the only concerns I have are Katrina related, and the possibility of more hurricanes in the coming years.  One other thing is it being in the South... not sure how racial tensions are there (my gf is Korean, and I worry a little about her visiting or staying there, seeing as how there are very very few Asians there... I see on your profile that you're Taiwanese... do you have any thoughts or concerns about it?)

Judging from your list of schools, seems like you'll likely be choosing between the same two I am: Loyola and Tulane (unless you get in at George Mason, or I get in at Fordham PT).  Do you think you'd go choose Tulane over Loyola?

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 03:43:33 AM »
oh yeah, to answer your question... my guess is that they're offering it to ppl they like (ie w/ scholarship offers) and to ppl who live fairly far away.

ReformedSlacker(HFG)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »
Nice.

I was already planning a visit myself, though I haven't RSVPed yet...but yeah, the voucher is pretty sweet. Tulane seems to be doing everything right... the voucher, and they already had a current 3L email me to talk about the school, and we ended up chatting about it on the phone for like an hour.  Their admitted students website is also nice.

At this point, the only concerns I have are Katrina related, and the possibility of more hurricanes in the coming years.  One other thing is it being in the South... not sure how racial tensions are there (my gf is Korean, and I worry a little about her visiting or staying there, seeing as how there are very very few Asians there... I see on your profile that you're Taiwanese... do you have any thoughts or concerns about it?)

Judging from your list of schools, seems like you'll likely be choosing between the same two I am: Loyola and Tulane (unless you get in at George Mason, or I get in at Fordham PT).  Do you think you'd go choose Tulane over Loyola?

"New Orleans" is one of the most liberal city's in america, I put that in quotations because this doesnt include the whole state. Also New Orleans has the third highest population of asians in the country , so you and your girlfriend should be very comfortable. I went to school at UNO University of New Orleans before katrina hit, and asians were the largest minorty group represented at the school.
HTH
keith

ARG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »
I didn't get one :-\, but I didn't rsvp yet and I haven't recieved my package yet either...hope I do get one...anyone willing to say how much they are for?
Go Badgers!

bloodbath

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 03:31:06 PM »
I got one and will be visiting on the 17th of March. Received acceptance via email on Tuesday and am still waiting on my package. The wait is killing me because it said the scholarship info would be in there and I want to know how much it is!

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
The travel voucher is good for up to 300$ towards the price of your air ticket.  I'm also coming on the 17th!

Anyone have any ideas or success with negotiating for more money?  I'm going to attempt this but I'm not sure how or when...

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
regarding the racial tension, i wouldn't worry about it.  it is a VERY diverse place to live.  in fact, pre-katrina it was 65% african-american.  now, with all the rebuilding i hear it is at least 20 % mexican.

i evacuated katrina and enjoyed my 2 years in NOLA.  the only issue i would have with living there now is safety.  i think they are rebuilding nicely.
FIU Class of 2009

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »
This is all good to hear... thanks to everyone who posted.

I am from CA... I'll most likely be choosing between tulane and loyola... I have no doubt that usd is a nicer school in a better location... although I haven't visited, it's gotta be better than where loyola's at.  I didn't even apply to USD tho cuz I wasn't impressed by their curriculum... they didnt seem to have much at all in the way of media/communications, 1st ammendement type stuff, and little in terms of immigration as well (those are the two areas I'm thinking of right now, but it could all change).  Despite looking bad, Loyola's class selection did look excellent in many many areas.

I'm basically in the same situation tho... I would probably end up choosing hastings if I got in, although I'm not 100% on that... I am 100% on usc... but that ain't happening.  Good luck in your decision!