Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bostonians, I have a question  (Read 1255 times)

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Bostonians, I have a question
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »
I am going to BC's admitted students day in April and need to stay at a hotel. However, what is a nice area of Boston to stay in for the weekend? I am from California and do not want to stay in Boston's version of Compton. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bostonians, I have a question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:43:30 PM »
Also, make sure you stay at a hotel on or very near the "T" (Subway).  You will get a real feel for Boston if you use the public transportation! (which I think is great).
2L

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:49:46 PM »
Also, make sure you stay at a hotel on or very near the "T" (Subway).  You will get a real feel for Boston if you use the public transportation! (which I think is great).

Ahh yes… that was my second question. Is the city more like New York with great public transportation? Or do I need a car to get around like Los Angeles? I want to stay in Boston to get a feel for the city but commute out to Newton for the event. Is this possible? I think Map Quest gave me about 20 minutes to get from Boston to Newton but I do not know if it is 20 minutes without traffic or if it is about 1 hour in grid lock traffic. For example, today it took me 45 minutes to go about 15 miles on the 60 Fwy here in Los Angeles.

Thank you so far for the replies

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
BC is slightly outside of "downtown" Boston - I lived downtown so I am not totally familiar with the Newton area.  I do know the T goes to BC.  Check out www.mbta.com

As for downtown Boston and your visit, you will probably be happier without a car. Parking is a pain and can be very expensive and if you don't know the roads you will find yourself pulling your hair out. However, once you get comfortable w/the city driving isnt that bad.

I would suggest taking a cab or hotel shuttle in from the airport.  The one T ride that is HORRIBLE is the airport ride!!

My personal opinion is that Boston is a VERY easy city to navigate once you spend a little time there.  The T takes you just about everywhere - it is very safe, and also cheap if you buy a monthly pass.
2L

Superlax

• Booyakasha.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
I agree -- the Westin and the Marriott are the two best in Boston without busting up your wallet too bad.

I'm pretty sure there's a Sheraton or a Hilton in Newton a few miles off campus if you're not in the mood to be right in the middle of the city.

As for the T, make sure the hotel you stay at is close to the green line. I don't care what anyone says, at times switching trains can be a huge pain in the ass, especially if its a busy time of day.

I'm an undergrad at BC, and I've lived in or near Boston my whole life. When the time gets closer, PM me if you need some suggestions on going out in both Chestnut Hill and Boston.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:08:03 PM »
I concur.  You don't need a car.  The T has its downsides, but it is effective.

As for accommodations, I recommend the Best Western at 1650 Commonwealth Ave.  It's nice enough, reasonably priced, and right on the B line, which will take you to BC in about 5-10 minutes after you board the train (and the outbound ride is free).
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
Man, this site is the best. Thanks for all the information. I felt like a blind man pissing into the wind attempting to pick a hotel, decide to rent a car or not, and so forth.

Thanks for the link cesco and for the tips JD, Superlax, and samesongtwice. 

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:17 PM »
This might also be helpful.  It's the MBTA T map superimposed on a Google Map of the city, so you can figure out how to get from a given T stop to any address on foot.  http://www.thrall.net/maps/mbta.html
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
do NOT bring a car to boston- parking is non-existent. 
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

Electric2006

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:47 AM »
You should stay in Coolidge Corner, it is halfway between downtown and BC, and is a great area with lots of restaurants and shops, and a short cab or T ride to BC. 

There is a Courtyard Mariott right in Coolidge corner, as well as a Holiday Inn, they are both nice.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/BOSBL

http://www.bos-brookline.holiday-inn.com/home.htm

I live in this neighborhood, and it is fantastic, not overrun by students like Allston/Brighton, and has a great neighborhood feel.