Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard University  (Read 1044 times)

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howard University
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:27:40 PM »
Its my understanding that Howard is a pretty decent law program that merely looks to factors other than GPA/LSAT in terms of importance. They are competitively strong and have excellent recruitment as well. That being said, do you think that it would be harder for non-URMs to gain admittance to HUCL? Furthermore, if admitted do you think it would be harder for non-URMs to make law review? I suppose the most important question would be, if a non-URM were to attend HUCL and graduate near the top of the class would they get the same attention from top recruiters or do recruiters go to HUCL specifically to find quality black lawyers?

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
I'm not sure, but 96% of the class is URM... take it for what it's worth.
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »

I am sorry, but I am somewhat confused about your statement. What are you implying? What is wrong with a school having 96% URM? Are you scared of interacting with URM's? Just curious.

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:49:09 AM »
if a non-URM were to attend HUCL and graduate near the top of the class would they get the same attention from top recruiters or do recruiters go to HUCL specifically to find quality black lawyers?

I cited the statistic in response to the query above.  Instead of instigating, you should have simply asked, "what did you mean by this statement?"  I have no problems w/ URMs but UR a Moron.     
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:32:17 AM »

Yes, but what percentage of non-minorities actually apply? If they are not applying, then that could explain the lack of non-URM presence at Howard.
Attending: NYU ($$$)!
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
if a non-URM were to attend HUCL and graduate near the top of the class would they get the same attention from top recruiters or do recruiters go to HUCL specifically to find quality black lawyers?

I cited the statistic in response to the query above.  Instead of instigating, you should have simply asked, "what did you mean by this statement?"  I have no problems w/ URMs but UR a Moron.     

I don't believe I was instigating. I did ask "what you meant by your statement". Please try to keep a positive attitude. Since you are on this discussion board,I assume that you have some sort of education. Please act like you have some type of education. Personal insults will not get you very far in life.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »
There was nothing in Ivan's original statement that implied that he had a problem with URMs. 

Anyway, Howard's racial/ethnic composition is:

African-American: 85.1%
American Indian: 0.4%
Asian-American: 3.5%
Mexican-American: 0.0%
Puerto Rican: 0.0%
Other Hispanic-American: 3.1%
White: 4.3%
International: 1.7%
Unknown: 1.9%

I think there is little doubt that it is at least a little more difficult for white applicants to gain admission than for minority applicants.  I'd have to believe that race would not play a factor in your law review selection however.  And there might be a slight disadvantage when employers are going to Howard to specifically recruit black lawyers.  All that said, Howard's instructional quality and reputation exceed its ranking and you'd have a very unique experience studying law there.  In fact, it could be advantageous in that it sets you apart from your peers at other comparable law schools.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:35:34 PM »
There was nothing in Ivan's original statement that implied that he had a problem with URMs. 

Anyway, Howard's racial/ethnic composition is:

African-American: 85.1%
American Indian: 0.4%
Asian-American: 3.5%
Mexican-American: 0.0%
Puerto Rican: 0.0%
Other Hispanic-American: 3.1%
White: 4.3%
International: 1.7%
Unknown: 1.9%

I think there is little doubt that it is at least a little more difficult for white applicants to gain admission than for minority applicants.  I'd have to believe that race would not play a factor in your law review selection however.  And there might be a slight disadvantage when employers are going to Howard to specifically recruit black lawyers.  All that said, Howard's instructional quality and reputation exceed its ranking and you'd have a very unique experience studying law there.  In fact, it could be advantageous in that it sets you apart from your peers at other comparable law school.

I never implied that Ivans statement was against URM's. Please read the post before you decide to argue for someone. I simply asked a question. Is there a law against asking a question?

DisgruntledLegalAssistant

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »
For Christ sake, Zach, stop being so f-ing grouchy

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
I never implied that Ivans statement was against URM's. Please read the post before you decide to argue for someone. I simply asked a question. Is there a law against asking a question?

Umm... I've read the thread.  Your "questions":

"I am sorry, but I am somewhat confused about your statement. What are you implying? What is wrong with a school having 96% URM? Are you scared of interacting with URM's? Just curious."

These are questions are clearly rhetorical.  If you didn't mean to imply anything, then why would you be asking them in the first place?  It's not about there being a "law against asking a question," it's about you being a d-bag.

And this is from a liberal URM.

Peace.