Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: widener, really?  (Read 1094 times)

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
widener, really?
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »
ok, i was accepted at widener more than two months ago (before my app was even complete). no mention of scholarship. so i emailed them today and they said the admissions committee hadn't decided to give me one. i'm pretty above their averages.

is there a point in paying full price tuition for a t4 school like this? no offense to those of you who want to go there, i'll give up my spot for you even, i just think its funny.

so, should i go ahead and withdraw, or wait just to be safe?
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
Re: widener, really?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:04:26 PM »
They actually did this to a friend of mine that was way above their averages, his numbers were 3.39/163. He decided to withdraw immediately...
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:47:34 PM »
yeah, i'm highly considering withdrawing. i don't understand them. they give me a decision super fast without my file being complete but dont give any $$. oh well, their loss.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
yeah, i'm highly considering withdrawing. i don't understand them. they give me a decision super fast without my file being complete but dont give any $$. oh well, their loss.

Keep in mind, they are trying to raise their numbers.  They may be offering scholarships or free rides to people with even higher numbers than yours.  It may be a matter of 157s or 158s at this point.  It could be any game is my point.  Either way, they have a very hard curve (so says everyone I know who has graduated (a lot of people))...and often times the scholarships are attached to maintaining certain rankings inside the class which may or may not be easy to do.

I wouldn't sweat it and I wouldn't withdraw at this point.  You always have the option in March or April to come back to them and say "I want to attend your school, but you've got to give me money."  If they say no then, then withdraw.  Don't withdraw just yet because you're down to only one school after that, and that one school just got accredited last year.

I'd just wait it out is all.

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:59:40 PM »
i'm pretty insulted. they said the dean would reconsider a scholarship offer if i write a letter but that most of the scholarship funding is gone already.

honestly, i don't think widener is worth 30k/year, and even if they had given me something like half-tuition it still wouldn't be worth it. no offense to anyone who wants to go there, of course, it's a decent school, i just think you could get much more for your money.

i'm withdrawing as soon as i finish typing this.

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 01:55:07 AM »
I live 10 minutes from Widener but I'm moving to a school many miles away because of: Widener's very harsh/borderline unfair grading curve, a reportedly very hostile inter-student environment, Rather expensive tuition ( it is a private school so being in state means nothing), and what would my reward be for graduating from there? - Being at the very bottom of the Philadelphia area food chain for jobs under Penn, Temple, Villanova, Rutgers(camden), and now Drexel.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »
Wow that's bs...

They gave me 14k per year and I only have a 159. And I withdrew before they offered me money. (I guess they didn't get the email)..or, maybe they did so that's why they offered. But from looking at LSN, it seems that people with 158-160 usually get about 14k. Did you have your heart set on practicing in the PA/DE/NJ area?

cyberrev

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
i'm pretty insulted. they said the dean would reconsider a scholarship offer if i write a letter but that most of the scholarship funding is gone already.

honestly, i don't think widener is worth 30k/year, and even if they had given me something like half-tuition it still wouldn't be worth it. no offense to anyone who wants to go there, of course, it's a decent school, i just think you could get much more for your money.

i'm withdrawing as soon as i finish typing this.

well, look at quinnipiac.  a t4 who charges 32k a year?  6k less than yale?  geez.

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »
Wow that's bs...

They gave me 14k per year and I only have a 159. And I withdrew before they offered me money. (I guess they didn't get the email)..or, maybe they did so that's why they offered. But from looking at LSN, it seems that people with 158-160 usually get about 14k. Did you have your heart set on practicing in the PA/DE/NJ area?

Don't feel bad ... I have a 169/174 and only got $14K! I withdrew!

Good luck to all.

;D

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:34:30 AM »
I would not attend Widener at that price unless you absolutely want to be in this area and can save $$ by living at home (even then, I would go with Drexel if they gave you $$).  I live with a current 2L and feel confident saying that Widener is definitely a T4 school with a chip on its shoulder. No doubt, some good attorneys come out of Widener and do well but if you have other options, I would exercise them.

My 2 cents
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!