Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: College Radio Stations  (Read 1015 times)

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
College Radio Stations
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:52:15 PM »
Question here. I am a DJ at my college radio station. In fact, I am also a member of the Executive staff as the music director. My questions is this. If I get into a school that has a radio station, do you think the law school would restrict me from doing a show there once a week? I know many schools prevent any L1 students from having jobs, but this would be a show once a week and its volunteer.

Anyways... any experiences, opinions, and advice would be apreciated.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: College Radio Stations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:20:41 PM »
To be honest, I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I would think that it would be something more like a personal activity, almost as if you went to the gym for a period of time once a week. I don't think it'll be a problem but then again it's up to each law school  to decide.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:23:19 PM »
I doubt they will try to stop you, if you think you can find the time.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:34:08 PM »
if you think you can find the time.

True. I would probably need some time to see how much free time I actually have.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:35:42 PM »
If they try to stop you, you could always sue on 1st amendment grounds.   :D

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 10:00:00 PM »
I too have heard that some law schools do not allow you to work.  Who is notorious for this?
What would happen if you did take on a job?  Would you be put on probation, or thrown out?  Is this policy explicitly stated in the schools policy manual, or what ever they call it "rule book" I like the freedon of speech appeal, but what statute/ammenment would be violated if you chose to work....what grounds could you sue on?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:30:55 PM »
if you're a full time student, there is an aba requirement that you not work more than 20 hours a week. i've not heard of individual schools with more restrictive policies, though i suppose it's possible

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:16:50 AM »
if you're a full time student, there is an aba requirement that you not work more than 20 hours a week. i've not heard of individual schools with more restrictive policies, though i suppose it's possible

I think most law schools will go even further by saying that you cannot work during your first year. I know that if you do get caught some schools will ask you to take some time off or switch to their part-time program if they have one. I can't blame them. LS is tough and if they didn't have something to discourage most ILs from working many ILs would work and probably receive poor grades, which would bring down the schools reputation.

Your IL is a huge adjustment period. I would think about not doing it for at least the 1st semester while you adjust. However, I think with an activity like that, it is comparable to just going to the gym. There are probably several ILs that go to the gym 3-4 times a week and work out for one hour at a time.

Algebra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 01:59:47 PM »
I'm sure no law school will prohibit you from volunteering.

I managed the radio station at my UG and our general policy was not to take grad students if we could fill the spot with an undergrad.  A few law students asked about working in the news department, but they were already overstaffed, so we passed.  We did have some grad students who either began as undergrads or filled a specialized role.

However, all college stations are different.  An alum from our station found a job managing a college station in TX...

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 03:01:36 PM »
i don't see why you couldn't still do radio, at my undergrad all you had to do was sign up and wait for a spot to open.  the only problem was the chance that the next available opening would be the 3am-5am one. 
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?