Law School Discussion

PENN NYC Reception at Cravath on 3/2- anyone else dying to see a Biglaw firm?

OK, so mostly I'm just going for the free food and drink, but also I really want to know what a firm looks like from the inside.  Is anyone else going?  What are you wearing?

I'm thinking pencil skirt and blouse... full suit seems a little much, yes?

Re: PENN NYC Reception at Cravath - anyone else dying to see a Biglaw firm?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »
skirt and blouse should be fine. most firms are business casual anyway, so if you see anyone in a suit you immediately assume they're interviewing.

I'm curious to see Cravath though, so i might try to make it down...although I haven't figured out if i'm going to be in nyc that weekend yet.

Cool, I hope you can make it since it seems likely we'll be future classmates  :)

Re: PENN NYC Reception at Cravath - anyone else dying to see a Biglaw firm?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:35:26 AM »
skirt and blouse should be fine. most firms are business casual anyway, so if you see anyone in a suit you immediately assume they're interviewing.

I'm curious to see Cravath though, so i might try to make it down...although I haven't figured out if i'm going to be in nyc that weekend yet.

Cool, I hope you can make it since it seems likely we'll be future classmates  :)

it does seem very likely  :)  and i'm glad to know i won't be the only 21 year old in the class (i'm 25)

Oh, I should have mentioned that in the review!  People definitely seemed a little older than the G'town crowd, which is a plus for me, being 26.  I thought I'd read some where that it was about 50% direct from UG, but actually they said it was more like 30%.

So you definitely won't be the oldest  ;)

i so want to go! but I am an ocean + the nation away.

would appreciate good reviews from ya both.  ;)

jeb240

I'll be there.  I'm very excited to see what money can buy.  Additionally, there is a Michigan dinner for students of color that starts when the Penn thing ends, and is only blocks away.  I'm going to feel so cool that night.  I might just take a cab home  ;D

maybe I'm confused but you are a 0L? why would you go? did they invite the 0Ls?

seriously there are at least 4 of these per week 2nd semester 1L

jeb240

Why would there be four of these per week your 1L year?  Do they expect busy students to hop on the train to NYC that often?  Couldn't they just do it in Philadelphia at another top firm?

We were told that it was, at least in part, an admitted students' reception/gathering.

It's an admitted students' reception; aside from it being hosted at Cravath, I don't think it has anything to do with the firm.  Although I'm sure it won't be my last time at a firm, it is my first.  I'd like to know what it looks/feels like to better understand what people are talking about once I get to LS.

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile

It's an admitted students' reception; aside from it being hosted at Cravath, I don't think it has anything to do with the firm.  Although I'm sure it won't be my last time at a firm, it is my first.  I'd like to know what it looks/feels like to better understand what people are talking about once I get to LS.

I would have loved to be there too for the same reason.  Unfortunately there is no earthly way of getting from Philadelphia to New York in 1.5hrs so I'm SOL.  Definitely post your thoughts/impressions after the Cravath shindig...that way, I can live vicariously.  :)

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
You guys will probably be impressed by Cravath. The father of one of my best friends from college was a managing partner there, and retired a couple of years ago. He showed us around when he was still working there, and I thought it was pretty damn nice.