Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 4128 times)

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
Florida
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »
DING!!

In shock, complete and utter shock. I thought my numbers were highly competitive.

Wow, Only thing I can think is that I messed up the application. I checked yes to academic action by mistake and had to send a letter stating I had never had it, maybe they didn't like that??

Not sure what to do now.

cayberr

Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 01:05:02 PM »
Are you from out of state?

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
No I was instate and a URM. I saw many applicants with lower numbers accepted on LSN.

cayberr

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
I understand that you're URM, but how do your numbers stack up against UF's published numbers?  If yours are really good, maybe they did make a mistake.  Did you make sure the academic action letter was placed in your file?

UF accidentally rejected me for undergrad.  When I read the rejection letter the first time, I was so shocked and upset that I never even finished reading it.  I felt like torturing myself so I read the letter again later.  All the way at the bottom, it said I was rejected because I was missing a required course.  I made a phone call and told them to check my transcripts because I completed that course.  What did the lady on the phone say immediately, "I'm so sorry.  You'll get your acceptance letter in a few days."

I don't know what UF Law's policies are regarding the review of denials, but it doesnt hurt to find out and then find out why.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 08:16:59 PM »
Hey, thanks for the advice.

My LSAT was in the middle of what they are accepting on LSN for everyone, towards the high end and my gpa is at the top too. I am in the top percentile of my school, 7%. Thing is LSAC also messed up my GPA, the first reports sent out had a much lower GPA showing and they just fixed it when my new transcripts got sent in last month. I told schools that the correct report was coming but I guess they didn't care.

I think it may have to do with the academic action, disciplinary action that I ticked yes on by mistake. I misunderstood the question and it said mark yes if unsure. I guess I should have called them.

I didn't mean to stress the URM thing, I only said it because people on this site try to stress the big bump URMs get and I don't think that is all that true. My numbers were good for any color applicant at UF, if there was a supposed bump I would have been a AutoIN.

cayberr

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 08:42:39 PM »
I didn't mean to stress the URM thing, I only said it because people on this site try to stress the big bump URMs get and I don't think that is all that true. My numbers were good for any color applicant at UF, if there was a supposed bump I would have been a AutoIN.

I think we have a misunderstanding.  I didn't think you stressed the URM issue at all, but now that I re-read, "I understand that you're URM, but how do your numbers stack up against UF's published numbers?" it sounds like I thought you stressed it.  I said that to mean exactly what you said above.  If your numbers are really good compared to everyone else, plus URM status, then you more than likely should have been admitted (but I don't live in the minds of adcoms).

As long as you didn't write your personal statement about how UF sucks or have glaring weaknesses, I would look into the decision if I were you.  Good luck.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:47:32 PM »
Thanks, I will write them a letter tomorrow to please review the decision.

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 06:07:48 PM »
i realize you may not want to disclose your numbers but what was your index?

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »
index is 5.9

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
wow, that is shocking.  especially w/ urm/residency.  i follow lsn pretty closely and uf is by far the most index obsessed of the 10 schools ive applied to.  5.7s and above get in, 5.4s dont, the others are borderline or will be wl. if thats really youre index, i would call the dean.  he'll let you know what they didnt like about youre app.