Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 4207 times)

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
Re: Florida
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
Yeah, DEF call the adcomms.  They at least owe you an explanation. 
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »
i just got the rejection letter today...i knew it was a rejection because it was a dismal-looking envelope. i kinda expected it but was still surprised because i took a class at the law school last semester. oh well.
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
i just got the rejection letter today...i knew it was a rejection because it was a dismal-looking envelope. i kinda expected it but was still surprised because i took a class at the law school last semester. oh well.

sorry to hear that  :-[  But, i think you have a good shot for many great schools.  Good luck!!!
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 10:21:27 AM »
index is 5.9

i call bull.  the highest reject on lsn is a 5.6.  everyone w/ a 5.9 is in, nobody is even pending. hardly anyone w/ a 5.7 or 5.8 is even pending.  and you said your gpa was stronger than your lsat, uf is a gpa whore.  w/ those #s, residency, and urm status you could be upset w/ anything less than a full ride at uf. 

a 5.9 at uf w/ a strong gpa would give you something like a 165/3.8.  people w/ those #s dont get wl at IU-B and they arent excited about Case.  especially urms.  those schools PAY urms w/ those #s very well to come to their school.

either you got caught cheating or you dont have a 5.9

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »
i call bull.  the highest reject on lsn is a 5.6.  everyone w/ a 5.9 is in, nobody is even pending. hardly anyone w/ a 5.7 or 5.8 is even pending.  and you said your gpa was stronger than your lsat, uf is a gpa whore... 
this would give you something like a 165/3.8.  people w/ those #s dont get wl at IU-B and they arent excited about Case.  especially urms.  those schools PAY urms w/ those #s very well to come to their school.

Good point... but there are plenty of factors that may, theoretically, account for this discrepency: 1) a felonous record (especially if it involves the theft of money), 2) caught plagiarizing  / cheating in UG 3) an LSAT misconduct violation 4) Having previously attempted law school and bombed out etc. etc.

IwanttoStudyLaw is probably telling the truth because she has been a very honest/candid poster on these boards.  She concedes the following:

I think it may have to do with the academic action, disciplinary action that I ticked yes on by mistake. I misunderstood the question and it said mark yes if unsure. I guess I should have called them.

So, she was probably caught cheating.  That's a red flag for most schools. 

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
i call bull.  the highest reject on lsn is a 5.6.  everyone w/ a 5.9 is in, nobody is even pending. hardly anyone w/ a 5.7 or 5.8 is even pending.  and you said your gpa was stronger than your lsat, uf is a gpa whore... 
this would give you something like a 165/3.8.  people w/ those #s dont get wl at IU-B and they arent excited about Case.  especially urms.  those schools PAY urms w/ those #s very well to come to their school.

Good point... but there are plenty of factors that may, theoretically, account for this discrepency: 1) a felonous record (especially if it involves the theft of money), 2) caught plagiarizing  / cheating in UG 3) an LSAT misconduct violation 4) Having previously attempted law school and bombed out etc. etc.

IwanttoStudyLaw is probably telling the truth because she has been a very honest/candid poster on these boards.  She concedes the following:

I think it may have to do with the academic action, disciplinary action that I ticked yes on by mistake. I misunderstood the question and it said mark yes if unsure. I guess I should have called them.

So, she was probably caught cheating.  That's a red flag for most schools. 

i was to quick to say its either fake #s or cheating but something is definitely fishy.  how do you 'accidentally' check you had an academic infraction, realize you checked it, and then consciously not clear it up?

perhaps a combo of exagerrated #s and academic dishonesty. 

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 10:07:21 AM »
actually I never said I had a higher gpa, I have a stronger lsat. Also I had academic probabtion and clicked yes for both academic probation and disciplinary action because I wasn't sure if what I went through was considered disciplinary action.
 I was not caught cheating at all, my first semester I got all F's due to personal reasons and dropping out and was placed on probation.
 I am pretty sure this had a reason to do with my rejection as well as a mistake I made on the app.
 My acceptances and rejections have been drast in according to what most people expect. I mean I was dinged by Hamline and accepted by Illinois.

Also why would I lie? Who would even care apart from me?

"My LSAT was in the middle of what they are accepting on LSN for everyone, towards the high end and my gpa is at the top too. I am in the top percentile of my school, 7%."

how does that not equal a higher gpa?

if you made all f's your 1st semester and are in the top 7% that will help you, not hurt you

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »

Look I am not saying I don't have a high GPA, it is ok, 3.61, but I feel my LSAT is stronger than my GPA, and I am a URM, so supposedly that adds points to my LSAT score, what is your problem with me?? Damn.

Well then you should have gotten in, 100%.  Did you call the UF adcomms yet?

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »
actually I never said I had a higher gpa, I have a stronger lsat. Also I had academic probabtion and clicked yes for both academic probation and disciplinary action because I wasn't sure if what I went through was considered disciplinary action.
 I was not caught cheating at all, my first semester I got all F's due to personal reasons and dropping out and was placed on probation.
 I am pretty sure this had a reason to do with my rejection as well as a mistake I made on the app.
 My acceptances and rejections have been drast in according to what most people expect. I mean I was dinged by Hamline and accepted by Illinois.

Also why would I lie? Who would even care apart from me?

"My LSAT was in the middle of what they are accepting on LSN for everyone, towards the high end and my gpa is at the top too. I am in the top percentile of my school, 7%."

how does that not equal a higher gpa?

if you made all f's your 1st semester and are in the top 7% that will help you, not hurt you

I also thought an upward grade trend would help me, so I honestly don't know what happened, that is why I started this thread in SHOCK!!!

how do you have a 3.6 w/ all f's one semester?  even w/ straight A's thereafter that doesnt add up.  and if you really do have 3.5 years of straight A's you should be getting full rides at lots of t1s

166/167 + a 3.6, urm, one horrible semester = $$$.  yet youre applying to tier 3s.  doesnt add up