Law School Discussion

Conduct Violation

Conduct Violation
« on: July 27, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »
I have a question.  If you get in trouble in college for a conduct violation for an alcohol/drug related offense does that ruin your chances at any law school?   

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
Re: Conduct Violation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 03:35:14 PM »
If may prevent you from going to a top notched school.  But if you have the lsat scores, they might just overlook your infraction. 

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 03:51:50 PM »
There is a record and no chance of it getting expunged. My lsats are average so i hope that law schools over look that part.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 04:41:37 PM »
Better include an addendum to your application. 

rwhitman

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
I have a question.  If you get in trouble in college for a conduct violation for an alcohol/drug related offense does that ruin your chances at any law school?   

There's no way law schools are going to overlook that..on the plus side, to prevent future offenses, I will be willing to take all of your drugs and alchohol. Consider it a pro bono favor by me. Just meet me at the old tree at midnight.......

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 05:19:49 PM »
This question has been asked a few times already, but I'll chime in anyways.

I don't think ONE violation is going to hurt you. I know plenty of people who have gotten into top grad schools with some sort of violation. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a friend who had a pretty severe infraction and he still got into Duke. Of course, alcohol violations are probably viewed as less severe than drug violations.

It's very unrealistic to think that out of every single person who has ever gotten into a top law school, absolutely none of them have ever had some sort of conduct violation. I'd also be willing to bet that more people have been through this sort of thing than you think, but they are too embarrassed to admit it.

If your numbers and other qualifications are good enough, you will get in. Just make sure to write an addendum about how the violation was a dumb mistake and how you've learned and grown from the situation. And of course, keep out of trouble from now on. The only way I can forsee a problem is if you have a large history of that sort of thing. Do not let one mistake discourage you from applyng to your dream school!!

If you do end up calling any schools about this, be sure to post your findings to the board. I'm sure some people here would benefit from the information. Good luck!

rwhitman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 05:27:13 PM »
This question has been asked a few times already, but I'll chime in anyways.

I don't think ONE violation is going to hurt you. I know plenty of people who have gotten into top grad schools with some sort of violation. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a friend who had a pretty severe infraction and he still got into Duke. Of course, alcohol violations are probably viewed as less severe than drug violations.

It's very unrealistic to think that out of every single person who has ever gotten into a top law school, absolutely none of them have ever had some sort of conduct violation. I'd also be willing to bet that more people have been through this sort of thing than you think, but they are too embarrassed to admit it.

If your numbers and other qualifications are good enough, you will get in. Just make sure to write an addendum about how the violation was a dumb mistake and how you've learned and grown from the situation. And of course, keep out of trouble from now on. The only way I can forsee a problem is if you have a large history of that sort of thing. Do not let one mistake discourage you from applyng to your dream school!!

If you do end up calling any schools about this, be sure to post your findings to the board. I'm sure some people here would benefit from the information. Good luck!

I disagree. With all of the qualified applicants and the emphasis on business reform I would think that any serious infraction would make it very difficult to get into a top school. I would think this is especially true of law school, because graduates will be expected to obey the law even more so than the average citizen....as Icebat said though, it would depend if it was a drug violation or just some stupid MIP from froshmen year

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 05:55:36 PM »
I was written up last semester for underage consumption of alcohol. When I talked to the director of student conduct, she told me she was extremely confident that law schools would overlook the infraction. In addition, she had previously served on the admissions council at U. Georgia law school. Your situation may be different than mine, though. I was a junior, and was written up about one month before I turned 21, and was only caught intoxicated in a dorm by an RA who then called the campus police.

Lipper316

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 09:00:04 AM »
My pre-law advisor told me this, (she served on fordham law's admissions committe), "If you have the grades, they will overlook it". I asked her this because I was worried about my 2 arrests in undergrad. It didn't hurt. If its only a one-time thing, schools will pay no attention to it. I disagree with a previous poster that you should write an addendum about it, because that will only bring attention to it.

Ladyday

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:44:43 AM »
Will it prevent you? NOPE.

But most likely you will have to write an addendum b/c most ls app specifically ask if you were the subject of any disciplinary action, if so explain. at least all the apps I had. 

But chin up, as long as it was 1 occurrence you should be ok.