Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Very Low LSAT  (Read 6061 times)

Desperate

• View Profile
Very Low LSAT
« on: February 22, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
So  I have two low LSAT scores-- 140's and a 3.46 GPA. I am planning on taking the test again after SERIOUS preparation. Is there any chance of me getting into a good law school? If so what schools would you recommend? Or should I just give up on law school. 

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Very Low LSAT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
So  I have two low LSAT scores-- 140's and a 3.46 GPA. I am planning on taking the test again after SERIOUS preparation. Is there any chance of me getting into a good law school? If so what schools would you recommend? Or should I just give up on law school. 

Don't give up. Latinlord had similar numbers to yours and he got into a tier 2 yesterday. You can read more about his story on his LSN: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=latinlord

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
I agree, don't give up just yet!

However, only take the LSAT if you see considerable improvement in your practice tests.  Whether or not you retake the test, an addendum may be helpful.

Desperate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 09:14:01 PM »

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Reply #10 on: Today at 09:02:37 PM
   Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
Ok I apprecite all the positive advice. Lets say I score a 155 on my third test. What kind of explanation could I give in an addendum.  The truth is, the first time I wasn't aware of the magnitude of the test and took it after just briefly studying on my own.  The second time I took Kaplan, what a waste of money and got the same score.  But looking back, I know I didn't study half as much as I should have.  I have learned a very hard lesson. Should I just be brutally honest in my addendums and admitt improper preperation, or should I come up with some other explanation?By the way one test was taken in 2002 and the other in 2004. I need sympatheic schools.

Thanks

dok101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:55:22 PM »
I would definitely take the test again as long as you seriously commit yourself to studying for it.  No one likes to study but the LSAT is a test that can be learned to a certain extent.  That's what I took for granted and now I'm living with the consequences of not preparing adequately for it.  Good luck.

mfost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 01:20:37 AM »
Here is a link to multiple LSAT policies for the "top 100" schools. Some of these schools use your highest score for admissions purposes. Serious improvement will get you into a law school. I tested more than once and got into a  T1 using my high score.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,15538.0.html

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »
You will have to be more flexible about where you will apply.  Tier 4 schools are getting more competitive, but htere are always schools in Thier 4 that will seriously consider you.  It also depends on where in the 140's you scored.  I think a good option is to take a prep class or get a tutor and take the test again.  SOme schools will tahke the highest score and others will consider the higher score even if they say they average, provided that your next score is a big leap from your last.
Since the LSAT scores do not stay on the record for application purposes, you will at least be able to move on from the low scores ehne they drop off. 

jazzband

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »

don't give up.  prep, prep, prep then retake.  forget about school right now.  right now the lsat should be the only thing you care about.  wait for your new score before you start thinking about school.
Esli by da kaby, vo rtu by vyrosli by griby, I byl by ne rot, a tsely ogorod.

JaimeNina

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »
Do you need to go to law school in the near future? Why don't you put it off and wait 3 years for your old scores to lapse and then study your ass off and go to a decent law school.  Most places that you can get into with 2 scores in the 140s are probably not worth the tuition they will charge you.

jazzband

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
all (s)he needs to do is score 15-20+ points higher, write an addendum and all will be forgiven.
Esli by da kaby, vo rtu by vyrosli by griby, I byl by ne rot, a tsely ogorod.