Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success  (Read 7376 times)

Sunshine Bound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2006, 12:22:32 AM »
any art history majors here..?

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

MCD

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2006, 01:04:29 AM »
I'm graduating in December as an English and History major. English literature is certainly not trivial, and it does seem to be very hard for a lot of people. However, my English classes have been cake compared to my History classes. They're certainly not as demanding as the History classes I've taken. I think History is one of the best majors you could choose. It should give you the same skills that an English major gives you (although not as efficiently or quickly).
It also gives you an understanding of international politics and power relations in various societies. Similarly, a History major should force you to carefully evaluate claims by looking at the evidence used to support a thesis along with the validity of the logical conclusions reached in the argument.

It's harder to defend a point of view when you're making an argument about history than a work of literature. There is far more ambiguity and a death of evidence to support literary assumptions than historical facts. Consequently, scholarship of English literature is more open and less rigid than historical scholarship. However, this is not the case in every area of English literature scholarship. The most significant difference is in the difficulty level of upper division classes in the respective majors. 300-500 level History classes tend to be more challenging and difficult than literature classes.

With that said:

The two fields are VERY interrelated, and I cannot see how one can be competent in one field without a firm grasp of the other.

The two majors I've chosen are certainly not the only ones relevant to law.

I think a major in say...Classics or a Modern Language would be just as challenging and relevant to law.

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »
Above all majors, passion and enthusiasm is the key factor for success in law and anything in life.  If you're not happy, you're not going to do well, regardless of your major.

Sunshine Bound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »

yay!

awesome! rarely seen among pre-law ppl..
don't you just love your major..? I know I do ;D

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
because only stupid asses do a "Pre-Law major, while usually only intelligent mofos engage in a Physics or Philosophy major. Therefore, the Physics and Phil. majors will not do better on the LSAT because they were trained to do so, it is more in the virtue of them being intelligent.

Hunny, its a classic flawed argument, your attacking the person instead of an argument.  I guess all that philosophy training didn't help much.  So let me say this: a pre-law major (I am a "legal studies" major- same difference) changes heavily between colleges.  I go to a private liberal arts school, and my curriculum required me to take courses in philosophy, heavy history, literature, sociology, english, law (legal writing, specific areas), logic, humanities, computer, some business, some mathematics, geography, politics, etc.  I also used my required electives credits to incorporate a minor in social sciences.  And yes, before you ask, I took classes at every level from 101 up to the top, and took courses at 2 different colleges.  My degree is very well rounded, thank you.  I have also seem some um..."characters" in philosophy classes...and I don't expect to see them passing me in the law school halls.  I am not saying by any means that philosophy majors are not brilliant by the way, just that not all are "only intelligent mofos".  I am sure you philosophy majors will have seen some people in class that just plain shouldn't have been allowed through the door.  Philosphy is hard, and so are a lot of other majors.  My point is, don't dump on someone else's major.  Maybe they were just interested in it- and like others have said- no major is required for law school.  It's personal preference.

Ok- I'm done venting now.  Woohoo!  The LSAT is over, let's party!  :D
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

xman_nuke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »
Yes - why just those disciplines? For my money English Lit is the very best preparation for the study of law: it is not trivially easy (and absurd) like economics; it has a better relationship to the way that lawyers think than engineering or any of the other sciences; and it isn't a hobby dressed up as an academic field like international relations or business or political science.

Law is literature. Period.

You're fat. 
He who laughs last thinks slowest

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »
Pre-law isn't a real discipline. Why would you major in pre-law? Don't law schools actually look down on that? To me someone who majors in pre-law isn't intellectually curious enough to dive into an actual discipline.

redemption

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »
Yes - why just those disciplines? For my money English Lit is the very best preparation for the study of law: it is not trivially easy (and absurd) like economics; it has a better relationship to the way that lawyers think than engineering or any of the other sciences; and it isn't a hobby dressed up as an academic field like international relations or business or political science.

Law is literature. Period.

You're fat. 

Oh, yeah, so I am.

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2006, 01:03:51 AM »

yay!

awesome! rarely seen among pre-law ppl..
don't you just love your major..? I know I do ;D

yes we are definitely a rarity.

what is or was your area of specialization?
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"