Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success  (Read 7466 times)

Pittman

Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success
« on: February 22, 2006, 05:48:50 PM »
To what extents do you think your major prepared you for success both on the LSAT and in Law School?

I am particularly interested in what philosophy, politics, econ, and history majors have to say.

natalieag

• View Profile
Re: Choice of major & LSAT/Law School success
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 05:55:52 PM »
Well, I'm not any of those so you can stop reading if you wish. ;)

I'm an English major and I finished school ten years ago, have been a stay-at-home mom ever since, but I think I've still retained some of what I learned then. 

I think my degree prepared me very well for the LSAT, and hopefully for law school.  Learning to read texts quickly and accurately and focus on the important points etc made logic and reading comp fairly easy.  I think it may help in school as well because I had many weeks of 3 papers due and 1200 pages of reading expected every night. (you learn to not read everything to survive, but pick the important stuff)  FWIW, I have two brothers that are attorneys.  Both said that English majors were the most successful on average... Have I convinced you yet? :)

*crossing fingers* Here's hoping for the score I want and not the score I had a nightmare about last night...

redemption

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 06:01:55 PM »
Yes - why just those disciplines? For my money English Lit is the very best preparation for the study of law: it is not trivially easy (and absurd) like economics; it has a better relationship to the way that lawyers think than engineering or any of the other sciences; and it isn't a hobby dressed up as an academic field like international relations or business or political science.

Law is literature. Period.

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
one who calls economics "trivially easy" has most definitely only taken an introductory course.

squirt10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
As someone who's taken upper division history, literature, and economics courses, I find your assertion that "economics is trivially easy" to be hilarious.  Of the three, the only one that can possibly be considered trivially easy is english literature.  Please.  You read (or don't--you don't really have to) the required texts, refer to some inane journals, write a coherent paper, and you're very likely to do well.

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
I was (still am since i Graduate in May) an Econ/Phil double major. I also took honors classes such as honors english, honors lit, etc... to fulfill certain requirements. I don't think any of the classes i took meant anythign for the LSATS OR law school.  The reason I majored in those 2 areas might say something about the type of person I am, which might in turn say something about how i will do in law school/ the LSATs, but in terms of actually helping me, i doubt either of them will have an effect on my success.

The econ. department at my school is pretty noteworthy, and the phil. department is probably the biggest in the country ( i think it actually is for a fact, but i won't speak in extremes), and I can say with 100% conviction as a very smart person that Econ is not trivially easy. The 2 hardest classes offered at my school are Advanced Econometrics and Advanced Microeconimic Theory.  This is not my opinion, but rather the general concensus of our Undergraduate body.  Maybe some degrees at certain schools are easier than others, but I don't know a single person in this Econ department who finds graduating with honors an easy task.  English, Math, Philosophy, Education, are all "easy" majors at my school, and as such, would probably not prepare most people for the amount of work needed to be successful in Law school.  

I'm sure that 'redemption' is very intelligent however, and like i said, probably won't need any help from her undergraduate degree studies to do well in law school. I don't think anyone can say in a serious manner that something they took 10-12 classes in while in college will make them more prepared for such a thing as the LSAT or law school. My brother just graduated Law school and did about 200 pages of reading a night, at a rate of about 20 pages an hour because the reading is so dense. If a major at any university in the world requires that, let me know.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
Political science prepares you more than any other major for dealing with pretentious blowhards. And you have to be able to write well. And my thesis involves me looking at ~8000 news articles so I think that'll prepare me for due diligence/document review in post-LS employment.

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »
Well, I guess my major (Business Information Systems) helped me in a round-about-way.  All the systems analysis stuff (Decision Trees, Tables) helped a bit on the games, and my computer programming background may have helped slightly on the logical reasoning section.

An introductory course in formal logic would have probably been more helpful though.  That and a decent LSAT prep book (Barron's sucks, as I found out too late)

Wish I would have found this site before I took the lsat ;)

redemption

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »
I see that I injected some life into this thread with my post.  :D

I stand by my claims.

Economics could be interesting, perhaps, but it certainly is not at the undergraduate level. Any economist who would like to give me an example of something that they encountered that is non-trivial, please give me an example sometime and we can discuss it. Besides, economics students at the undergraduate level simply repeat the doubtful methods that they have been taught without actually questioning the underlying assumptions of those methods. Economists, if you'll forgive me, are mathematicians-lite, or sociologists-lite, or historians-lite.

Political science. Well, what is there to say about it really, except that it involves some moderate reading? I would be interested in someone giving me an example of anything in political science that anyone who can read couldn't follow, understand and master in a few minutes. It's pretty much like reading the newspaper. If it isn't, please give me a counterexample. It doesn't even have it's own methodology!

Philosophy is not trivial in terms of the amount of thought and effot that it requires. I would question the distinction between English Lit and Philosophy anyway. They are very closely related.

In any case.

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 06:48:07 PM »
Well maybe your undergraduate school didnt have a mathematical approach to economics, but most well respected schools do...