Law School Discussion

"Lawyers' hostile e-mail exchange hits Internet"

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: "Lawyers' hostile e-mail exchange hits Internet"
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
The moral of the story is that you should think twice before hitting the "send" button.  Once you send an email, you can't take it back; it's irrevocable.  So you should make sure it doesn't contain anything that reflects poorly on you (like insulting or overly hostile language) or that might embarass you later if it becomes public.

As for the ethics of the thing, I haven't taken professional responsibility yet.  But from what I can tell, the communication wasn't privileged or anything like that; I'm not sure there's any ethical breach here on his part.  It might be a rather harsh thing to do, but the way I see it, by acting in such an unprofessional and rude manner, Abdala made her bed (she ruined her own reputation), and now she has to sleep in it.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
In the end, all he did was quote her.

Which is why discretion is the better part of email.  In the study of law, you should always take Holmes' advice, and think about "what the bad man might do" (basically, plan around the potential for abuse of the system).  If you're afraid this might happen to you, the easy thing to do is to exercise a little restraint and not send anything you wouldn't mind being shared with large numbers of people.  Don't give them anything to quote which shows you in an unflattering light.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Yep gotta be careful some lawyer might screw you over.