Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Article About Boalt E-Mail Mistake  (Read 2288 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Article About Boalt E-Mail Mistake
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 06:24:05 PM »
This presumes that they know some people are rejected, and we don't know that that's the case, even if Edward Tom gave numbers over the phone and someone has calculated that there are more apps than that number. The point is: no-one knows what goes on in admissions offices. There may be several 'perhaps' files to varying degrees. Whatever, the point is that it's futile getting stressed about it. This is the way it's done, and in applying we all consented to that. Sometimes we can't all know in time and have to make choices without knowing all our options - like you and your financial aid for example, or me and some applications to programs (non-law) that I made in England. Life is like that unfortunately, and it will happen with jobs and houses we wangt to buy etc. Again, I hate to sound harsh because I am sympathetic, having gone through the same stress, but I have to say I think you could all handle it better by accepting a system that works for Boalt and that you cannot change. The more you complain about it the more you get riled up. I was lucky to be in uhndergrad when I applied. I just concentrated on what I was doing then and there and one day anm email was in my inbox without my even expecting it. Email or letter, you will hear - and soon.

jeb240

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »
I don't disagree with that at all. I am really puzzled as to why they've held rejections for this long.  If I remember correctly, the first group of rejections went out much earlier during the last couple of cycles.  Hang in there and pray that you're in the committee review pile!

Finally!  That's all I wanted to hear!

But I'm agreeing with Nesnut in that there is an issue with having to make decisions.  Yes, as I said in my email to Mr. Tom, if they are still considering applicants, then continue to consider those applicants.  This is a delicate process, requiring finesse and heavy scrutiny, and I think the wait will make students who get in now appreciate it all the more, but for kids who are weighing options and fin aid decisions or applicants who have families and need to get ready to move and start looking for houses or this or that, if their review is over and done with and they have not gotten in... yeah, I really can't make this point anymore -- I think we are all agreed that we just don't get it.  And should one of us get in, please, since schools become so much more user friendly once you're admitted, ask Boalt what this is all about.

jeb240

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30:05 PM »
By the way, it is my desire to one day start the Jack McCoy School of Law, so anybody who is interested, let me know  ;D

We'll put it up someplace nice that needs a law school, like Santa Barbara

SB has a law school, it just isn't ABA.   :D

http://www.santabarbaralaw.edu/

CA has too many law schools anyway.  We need more top law schools in the south.  How about a T-20 in Phoenix or Honolulu?

jeb240

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 06:37:37 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ih8lsac

hot.  applied in september (of course, we don't know when he went complete) and just got in today.

BearGirl

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 06:55:27 PM »
Gosh, I feel so sorry for everyone who received this retraction.  I can't even imagine how devestating that would be for the people who received the initial email.  That kind of thing is scarring!  As for everything that was uncovered from this (holding out rejection letters, and so on), I think that Boalt should pay dearly.  Of course this is easy for me to say (since I am nowhere near these kind of numbers), but I think people should try and protest this by withdrawing.  Easier said than done, since this is a dream school for so many, but the way this school handled this was just wrong.  They should be held accountable. 

jeb240

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »
I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I don't think that we need to crucify Boalt.  I mean, it was a mistake, a BIG one, but it happens.  And they could have handled it better, and the second apology was a clear attempt to make up for their previous shortcomings.

But Boalt is still a good school and I'm sure they have their reasons for keeping applicants in the dark -- I don't think we need to gather the pitch forks and torches, I just think Boalt needs to be straight up.