Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Article About Boalt E-Mail Mistake  (Read 2252 times)

UseYourHead

Re: Article About Boalt E-Mail Mistake
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
I agree. If they have decided that somebody is definitely not going to be accepted, let that person know.

Perhaps they could adopt a strategy like the reality shows: reject people one by one, and if you haven't been rejected by a certain date, your in.

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »
I agree. If they have decided that somebody is definitely not going to be accepted, let that person know.

Perhaps they could adopt a strategy like the reality shows: reject people one by one, and if you haven't been rejected by a certain date, your in.

They seemed to have adopted that strategy but in reverse: accepting people one by one, and if you haven't been accepted by a certain date, you're out.   ;)
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »
When you step back and think about it, however, Jason is right- why hold on to so many rejections?  It doesn't make sense.  There is no good reason to do so- get them out as quickly as possible so that the calls, e-mails and letters from these same students stop flooding your office.  7000+ apps sure takes up a hell of a lot of floor space, so getting rid of a few can't hurt.  UCLA is just as impacted and they let me know I was rejected as quickly as they could- I just want the same courtesy from Boalt   ;)

That definitely doesn' t make sense to me, either --- some are probably on the bubble, and it might make sense to hold of on rejection.  But a huge chunk of those applications MUST already be in the reject pile.

As for the e-mails to Senor Tom, a lot of people (like myself) sent the e-mail requesting a status check before realizing that the bogus e-mail had been sent to 1000's of applicants, rather than to just me.

Besides this, there are several top schools out there that manage all enquiries from prospective students very quickly and efficiently.  There are only a few schools out that I've applied to that treat calls or e--mails from applicants like 'spam', and Ruskie called it.  Berkeley has been one of the worst schools in terms of 'customer service' to applicants. 

It's still an amazing law school, and I am basing that comment solely on my own personal experience.  But there are probably a lot of people on this board that would agree with me.

the reason i called the individual inquiries spam is because all of your questions should have been addressed in the apology emails.  a decision on your application hasn't been made, rejections will be mailed in 2 weeks, and admissions will continue through the end of march.  admissions staff have neither the time nor, frankly, the obligation to respond to these status inquiries by pulling all your individual files and telling you which pile you're in.  no other school will tell you that either.  when a decision has been made, you will find out about it.  in the meantime, filling up ed tom's email box with complaints and inquiries is not going to change what already is and what has already happened.  i feel for you guys, i really do.  but i didn't get my decision till march and i waited patiently for it.  some things just take more time than you expect.  personally, i believe that whatever methods they employ (however frustrating and questionable they may be to you now) work to put together some amazing classes.  you'll appreciate that when you come to boalt.  best of luck to all of you.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 04:50:48 PM »
You're so stubborn, Ruskie.  However, to an extent I agree with you.  Once it is clear that the e-mail went to 1000's of people, there is no further point in following up.

I would never want to get in an argument with you anyway -- I saw the way you made mincemeat of our IVY friend.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 04:52:26 PM »
When you step back and think about it, however, Jason is right- why hold on to so many rejections?  It doesn't make sense.  There is no good reason to do so- get them out as quickly as possible so that the calls, e-mails and letters from these same students stop flooding your office.  7000+ apps sure takes up a hell of a lot of floor space, so getting rid of a few can't hurt.  UCLA is just as impacted and they let me know I was rejected as quickly as they could- I just want the same courtesy from Boalt   ;)

That definitely doesn' t make sense to me, either --- some are probably on the bubble, and it might make sense to hold of on rejection.  But a huge chunk of those applications MUST already be in the reject pile.

As for the e-mails to Senor Tom, a lot of people (like myself) sent the e-mail requesting a status check before realizing that the bogus e-mail had been sent to 1000's of applicants, rather than to just me.

Besides this, there are several top schools out there that manage all enquiries from prospective students very quickly and efficiently.  There are only a few schools out that I've applied to that treat calls or e--mails from applicants like 'spam', and Ruskie called it.  Berkeley has been one of the worst schools in terms of 'customer service' to applicants. 

It's still an amazing law school, and I am basing that comment solely on my own personal experience.  But there are probably a lot of people on this board that would agree with me.

the reason i called the individual inquiries spam is because all of your questions should have been addressed in the apology emails.  a decision on your application hasn't been made, rejections will be mailed in 2 weeks, and admissions will continue through the end of march.  admissions staff have neither the time nor, frankly, the obligation to respond to these status inquiries by pulling all your individual files and telling you which pile you're in.  no other school will tell you that either.  when a decision has been made, you will find out about it.  in the meantime, filling up ed tom's email box with complaints and inquiries is not going to change what already is and what has already happened.  i feel for you guys, i really do.  but i didn't get my decision till march and i waited patiently for it.  some things just take more time than you expect.  personally, i believe that whatever methods they employ (however frustrating and questionable they may be to you now) work to put together some amazing classes.  you'll appreciate that when you come to boalt.  best of luck to all of you.

Do you realize that some of us, have had our apps in since mid October! I don't know when you sent your app in and how long you had to wait, but apparently they are doing things differently this year.  If rejections were going out on a rolling basis, then that would alleviate many phonecalls and a lot of peoples anxieties, including my own.  If I was rejected, why wait until March to tell me!  If I have been deferred or my application held, just let me know! Anyway you choose to slant this, holding an app for over 16 weeks, is ridiculous without giving a decision or at least an update.

The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 04:55:08 PM »
hey ruskie, be honest with me for a second- i'm 157/3.7, probably not counted as URM, but with great LORs, resume and personal statement (including 2 years working in a family law firm.)  Do you know anyone who had similar stats that was admitted?  I don't mean to put you on the spot, but getting a clear answer from someone on this question is becoming harder everyday, and I was hoping you might be able to help. 

yeah, i do.

yours truly.

157/3.9/white.

got in in march.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »
nesnut i'm in the same situation you are. I have a 3.67/156 but I am a URM (mother is puerto rican and father is 100% native american) So part of me feels that i should not get my hopes up even though being a URM ususally lengthens the amount of time they sit on your application. but i'm starting to get crazier everyday. I was complete january 25th...how much longer will i be waiting??? :-[

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »
I can't help thinking that you apply to a school and thus entrust them with your application, and how long it takes them or how they reach a decision is not really very much to do with you after that point until it becomes excessive. I know this sounds harsh but it's true. Because when people apply to Boalt they are told that they will hear around March - at least I was.  Hearing earlier is a bonus (which, from what I understand - though I could be wrong - mostly happens to people with very very high numbers).
Let it be. I also found it a long wait, but waiting is just a part of this game. They have a right to keep hold of apps for as long as they want or need to and to assess them in the ways they deem appropriate. The fact that other law schools do it differently doesn't make Boalt's way illegitimate. At the end of the day, isn't it better not to be told than to be rejected outright if it means you're still in the game? I think so.

By the way, I have similar numbers to Ruskie and was accepted last year (in February). I personally believe a longer review period means they really do look at the whole application rather than simply scanning for numbers and throwing apps in bins accordingly. This is what we all want law schools to do, so it seems unfair to be criticising them for doing so just because it takes a little longer.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 06:10:04 PM »
^^i totally agree...i really don't expect them to let me know this quickly...it's just the anxiety is killing me! however i do feel that if they've already thrown your app in the reject bin they should let you know ASAP so you can stop worrying and move on.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:43 PM »
I understand your anxiety - how could I not? - l just think they're doing their best and what will be will be. You have to believe they're doing it to your advantage. I do sincerely hope everyone hears soon, but then you all will. March is nearly upon us!  :)