Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I graduate in summer and get a job or finish sometime next year?  (Read 299 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm really undecided. I'd like to stick around where I am right now, but I think I could honestly graduate in the summer and then apply to law schools this Fall. I could then get an office job somewhere and make a bit of money and hang out for the year. If I don't, then I'll graduate in Fall or Winter and not be sure what I want to do. It also depends whether I get university housing here or not, since the non-university housing would be for the year.

I could theoretically get a job here, but I might be forced to take one somewhere else, which would make things difficult.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Should I graduate in summer and get a job or finish sometime next year?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »
check out desk job prospects and then graduate in the summer.

cosgined.  i didn't grad early when i could have an regret it.  i could have saved up some serious money for school and wouldn't be so burnt out.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:56:22 AM »
The thing is, I'm worried about socially. I haven't been here for that long and I'd like to further cement things here. It's also a really fun place to be as a student. I'm also very young. Is the 40 hours a week really something to be looked forward to?

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
The thing is, I'm worried about socially. I haven't been here for that long and I'd like to further cement things here. It's also a really fun place to be as a student. I'm also very young. Is the 40 hours a week really something to be looked forward to?

No work sucks :(

Stay in school...;)

Unless you can find a fun/cool job that you would enjoy...or one where you can save up oodles of money for school...working for 8/hr at a job you hate seems ptless:

1) you hate it - thats enough for most people
2) you won't save much money (if any) like that anyway

P.S.  40 hours a week?  Where do you find work like that?  Sign me up! ;)
HLS '09

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm in a similar situtaion, I could graduate in Dec. but am probably going to wait until May and stay here for Spring semester. I've had hard semester, taken only require classes, etc, and I'll be able to have a semester in which I can classes I enjoy (music, psych, other electives) and have a chance to do a for-credit internship. An easier semester before LS seems to me like a better alternative than a job for those months.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »
I would probably get a job at the University doing some type of administrative stuff. It would probably pay about $35k/year, which would certainly be enough to live off of considering I'm used to the student lifestyle. I could even make a few purchases to make law school a bit more fun, too. The issue I guess is that next year I have completely free and can spend time doing what I want to be doing and joining clubs, volunteering, etc. On the other hand, a bit of work experience and cash never hurt anyone. I have worked full-time(and then some!) in the past, but it was only for 3 months and some doing physical work.

I'm also afraid that I would like working the job so much that law school would seem like a bad plan, considering I will be out of UG debt-free thanks to the beauty of a state school.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 01:48:15 AM »
wow, court you are really pretty  :-*
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:45:45 AM »
wow, court you are really pretty  :-*
cosigned.

GH you are a really cool guy, so I want you to be happy!  I know I said earlier that work was the way to go, but really based on that last post of yours, I think it is totally a personal decision.  You have to weigh the pros (money saved up, probably more eager to return to school than not, desk jobs tend to do that) and cons (miss out on fun events, your first year EFC would probably be way higher) of grad-ing early vs staying (pro: a fun last semester without a lot of that grownup nonsense; con: possible school burnout).  Whichever you think is more important/beneficial for your future, do it, and if you won't be going into debt staying in school a semester longer, that is really one more reason to say, what the hell, may as well enjoy it.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 01:04:09 AM »
Sorry to be on-topic here, but additional considerations:

I'd like to finish my minor in Classics before I graduate. I know it will be completely irrelevant anytime in the real world, but it would be cool to finish it.

Also, if I don't graduate in summer, there's a chance that I won't get to have Schwarzenegger sign my degree. That would be truly terrible.

Despite this, I'm actually leaning towards finishing up in the summer. I've been doing this a long time. I have a horrible case of senioritis. I have only been to one class this week, and I just got a low A on the midterm for a class I never attend(I know the subject well).

There's also the issue of LSAC GPA...taking classes over summer could be beneficial but also it would mean taking harder classes instead of saving them for Fall and/or Winter when LSAC wouldn't see them. Bwahahaha.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 05:37:27 AM »
I just wanted to present my bizarre new feelings without interrupting! =P