Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a pet in LS?  (Read 4161 times)

cyberrev

Re: Getting a pet in LS?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 09:33:07 AM »
yeah we have a little dog that has been a part of the family for 9 years, and we're not giving him up just to live on campus.  unfortunately, a lot of the nicer apartments are either cats only or no pets.  bah.

we'll figure something out, or else live in our car.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 09:49:17 AM »
Fish are very relaxing too, but not very interactive.

Yes!  Lets here it for fish!  The worlds only SENSIBLE pet. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

La_Mujer_de_Grecia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
For those you you thinking about getting a puppy before law school and training him "in the summer"....think again.  Puppies, for the first few months, are like babies - they cry through the night, have accidents, and need attention basically 24-7.  And dogs need a lot of attention, period, no matter how old they are.  My dog sits at my bedroom door and whimpers when I study, until I take a break to play with him...this will obviously have to change before law school starts!

That said, if you have or get a slightly older dog, they are amazing for relieving stress, and there is no better feeling than coming home, depressed because you failed a test and don't want to talk to anybody, and to have your dog waiting by the door, excitied as ever to see you.

Yeah...when I say "puppy" I really mean dog. I figure that if I get a rescue dog, I will go to some sort of obedience training with it (even though it will be older), just so we will have a special "bonding" experience. Hmm... I think I might be a freak :) But I can't wait. I've wanted a dog for about 10 years now... And LS is a time where I will be stuck in the same place long enough to make it worth it. I'm "settling down" and a doggie is my reward...

jessieivy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
I didn't read the other topics, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said. 

Cats are so easy and cool - they can deal with you being gone a lot and don't require as much as a dog (though my dog is one of the two loves of my life and I never want to be without a dog, I don't care how much work they require).

Having any pet makes apt. shopping a bit hard - you'll be limited - but it's easier to find a place that will accept cats.  Dogs are harder and big dogs are the toughest.  I need to put my pooch on a diet so he can fit under the under 25/30lb requirement that lots of apts. have.  :)  (Not really, I'll let him stay chubby. I just hope I can find an apt.!)
As of 2/21/06, I'm planning on going to GMU in the fall

La_Mujer_de_Grecia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
My dad is REALLY allergic to cats and breaks out in hives if he comes in contact with the hair from my GS... but we've had a westie for nearly 13 years and he's been fine, so they really are hypoallergenic ;) and they are such great dogs, little w/out some of the negatives associated with little dogs, and just pure love!

and there are breeds of cats that have lesser allergy problems--but with cats, it's so hard to get a pure-breed one, that it's nearly impossible to find one that wont affect you, though we have had a few at the SPCA that have gone to homes with mild allergies and been fine, it's just more of a hit or miss.

and my bf was totally a cat person, swore up and down we'd never have a dog, yada yada, and literally now I think they guy honestly, seriously loves her more than he does me ;) so there's hope for your bf, too (not that he'd love an animal more than he does you, but you know what I mean...)

Yeah he's actually excited for me to get a dog  - he says he's going to teach it tricks and play catch with it.... But when we went to the humane society together the first time (it's now a bi-monthly event for us) and I saw how happy he got about the cats...well, it really made me feel bad that if he's with me, he can't have a cat.

But I have a feeling that he will definitely love my poochie :)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 11:28:07 AM »
The closest thing I had to a pet growing up was a baby brother. So I would never classify myself as a pet person or animal lover. And I would never consider getting a pet right before 1L.  BUT - I'm getting married in July and my fiancee has a cat.  The cat, Boots, and I have had a very rough relationship.  She gets into everything. And late at night she goes through a half hour to an hour of running from one room to another, back and forth.  She plays with blinds and curtains constantly. She drives me insane - well, drove me insane is more appropriate  At one point, I insisted that the cat could not follow us to DC and law school.  Needless to say I lost that battle and Boots is coming to Washington.  Since accepting that fact (which took quite a while) I have grown to like Boots.  I might even say I love Boots, but I would never give my fiancee the pleasure of admitting that. Ever. (but i can do that safely here since she doesn't frequent this board) I just hope Boots is too distracting and doesn't add any unnecessary stress to my first year of law school.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
It's a little sad, but the main strike against NYU for me is that I'd probably have to leave my cat with my sister or parents.  And it's a major strike.

I admit that my current apartment search would be a lot easier if I didn't have my cat, but I adore her, and I think she'll be a great influence on me in law school.  If I end up in an apartment without any other cats I'll probably wait a little while and see if she seems lonely, and if she does I'd see about adopting another cat to keep her company.  

On the plus side, I suspect I'll have more time for her in law school, since I currently am out of the house at minimum from 8-6 every weekday, and that doesn't count any time I leave the house for anything other than work.  And she likes to sleep on my lap while I read.   :)

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »

And, if you aren't heart-set on a young one, think about adopting an older one, they are SO hard to find homes for--and you get some bonuses, usually you can already tell what their personalities are like, so you have a better idea of if you will bond with them, and they are less likely to have behavioral problems (reputable adoption places will tell you even if the animal has some bad habits--their goal is to get the animal in a home forever, not to have it returned b/c the owner can't handle that it ripped up a chair or something).

I will agree with this 100%.  I've had 4 cats over the past 11 years (3 still with me) and 2 have been stray adults.  The only downside to taking them in was that my first one was a stray male (I hit him with my car) was FIV and FELV + and died within 3 years of getting him.  I will tell you though, strays are the most loyal and they are so thankful to have a good home.  My female just decided one day that my house was where she wanted to live and she has been a wonderful cat.  Don't get me wrong, I loved having kittens, but I always felt much more in tune with the strays.  They just don't take things for granted.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
It's a little sad, but the main strike against NYU for me is that I'd probably have to leave my cat with my sister or parents.  And it's a major strike.

I admit that my current apartment search would be a lot easier if I didn't have my cat, but I adore her, and I think she'll be a great influence on me in law school.  If I end up in an apartment without any other cats I'll probably wait a little while and see if she seems lonely, and if she does I'd see about adopting another cat to keep her company.  

On the plus side, I suspect I'll have more time for her in law school, since I currently am out of the house at minimum from 8-6 every weekday, and that doesn't count any time I leave the house for anything other than work.  And she likes to sleep on my lap while I read.   :)

It's pretty easy to find cat-friendly places in NYC... and nearly every place in Brooklyn will let you have a kitty.  If I get into NYU, I would definitely live in Brooklyn.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 02:08:56 PM »
On the dog issue, I adopted an older dog three years ago and it was one of the best choices I've made.  I haven't had a problem finding pet-friendly apartments, and she is the world's best-behaved dog (I found her on Craig's List; her owner was moving abroad).  She even does the coolest tricks!  Her owner really took care to train her well, which made my life a million times easier.

My problem is that I will be moving out of the apt I share with a roommate, and we both love the dog... when we adopted her, we agreed that she would be "mine," but my roommate has taken care of her as well (although I pay her vet bills and such).  It feels too mean to just tell my roommate, "Too bad, she's mine and I'm taking her."  So I guess she may be doing the child-of-divorce sixth month split.... fortunately she's been moved around a lot and is very adaptable to new situations.
I am officially a law school graduate : )