Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where should I go?  Also, I live close to St. John's so I might save on room & board too.

ND
 3 (27.3%)
WUSTL 10K/yr
 4 (36.4%)
St. John's Full Tuition
 2 (18.2%)
W/L
 2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: ND vs WUSTL $($) vs W&L vs St. John's ($$$$) for NYC law  (Read 1017 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
ND vs WUSTL $($) vs W&L vs St. John's ($$$$) for NYC law
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »
ND (no money) vs WUSTL (10K/yr) vs W&L vs St. John's (full ride) for NYC law.  I'm leaning towards ND or St. John's, and after looking over some NY placement statistics and the federal funds rate the Red Men (I mean Storm!) is sounding very attractive.  Comments please!

Slow Blues

Re: ND vs WUSTL $($) vs W&L vs St. John's ($$$$) for NYC law
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:50:14 PM »
I was looking over the roster of the firm where my fiance works and I get the impression St John's does better in NY than most people would think. Tough call over WashU or Notre Dame though.

drgibblet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
I have read somewhere that NYC is the number two destination for WUSTL grads after St. Louis. I know from the February admitted students online chat that WUSTL placed 79% of its 2004 grads outside the midwest. I'll see if I can dig up a percentage for NYC.

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »
ooh, dr. gibblet, tell me more.  my biggest concern about WUSTL is that I would end up in the midwest.  let me know if you can dig up more info on the subject.

drgibblet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:23:57 PM »
In the April 2005 online chat transcript an admissions officer said 12-15% of their graduating class goes to work in NYC. However, I would think that you probably need above average grades at WUSTL to go to NYC straight out of law school due to the abundance of NYC law schools. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see their reputation as that national. I would recommend calling WUSTL and asking how well a student ranked 50% or so would place in a NYC firm. Congrats on the acceptance and $$.

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »
I'm not a big St. John's fan, but out of that group I'd choose it.  You'll be saving a HUGE amount of money and not giving up much if anything in NYC placement power.  You might be giving up something in quality of LS experience, but not enough to make up for the stacks of cash.
Penn Law Class of '09

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »
I'd take WUSTL- best degree you have listed with some aid. ND becomes much less appealing with no aid, as does W/L. Fordham is the only school that I might consider worthy of attending no scholarship, particulary if you want to stay in NYC. I'd bypass St. Johns.

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »
If I go St. John's and save myself lots of cash, I'll always wonder how much farther I could have gotten with a ND degree, etc, etc, etc.

If you're set on NYC, I really think the answer is Not Much.  ND is not a major feeder for blue chip NYC employers.  Generally (repeat: generally), they look for the T14 or for top students at the local schools.
Penn Law Class of '09

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »
thats a really random combo for nyc- its hard to say but here is what i think
st johns- just nyc- tho even then i think ND or wustl migh thave better connections
ND- general northeast- the connecticut,ny,nj thing- i think the nd football name might carry it here
wustl- not sure who is better for nyc= them or nd so i cant say
w&l- if your range is more of a nyc thru to dc/nova