Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reject on basis of optional essay?  (Read 567 times)

TheHardestPart

• View Profile
Reject on basis of optional essay?
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:33:06 AM »
do you think schools reject bc of an unimpressive option essay?  assuming the rest of your application is good?  ... or is it just a question of whether you take the time to write an optional essay?  ???

some of mine kind of sucked... i'm getting increasingly paranoid the longer i wait to hear...

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
Re: Reject on basis of optional essay?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
I'm only speaking from intuition here, but I would say just taking the time to write an optional essay scores points. I don't think they expect it to be as impressive as your personal statement.

We can analyze our apps all day long, but...they're out there, and they're done. Just give yourself a pat on the back for the good work and don't stress too much over the details. Easier said than done, I know. I've gone over all my apps twice after submitting them.  :-\

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »
do you think schools reject bc of an unimpressive option essay?  assuming the rest of your application is good?  ... or is it just a question of whether you take the time to write an optional essay?  ???

some of mine kind of sucked... i'm getting increasingly paranoid the longer i wait to hear...

I am of the opinion that if you are going to do an optional essay, it should be well-written and at least seem sincere. I doubt that just doing it earns you points.

Oh, no, right. :o I didn't mean that slapping a couple sentences together was enough. It certainly has to be a decent essay. I just don't think they expect the length or depth of the personal statement. I put quite a bit of thought into my optionals...

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »

I agree.  It has been my opinion (total conjecture here) that schools would consider the optional essays MORE than personal statements, because this is where they can separate the people who really want to go to that school from the people that just sent out another application.  

I am of the opinion that if you are going to do an optional essay, it should be well-written and at least seem sincere. I doubt that just doing it earns you points.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:22:02 AM »
the one i'm stressing is northwestern... i've got an interview with them on friday, so i'm hoping i can redeem myself, but you know content-wise it's not horrible, but the grammar could have been better.   :-\

It is also my opinion than an interview can trump all.  But that is partially because interviews are so rare.  Does Nothwestern interview everybody, or just the people they think may be accepted?
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
why did u write one if it sucked????  :-\
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..