Law School Discussion

Poll

Fidelio

Re: So are we just being racist or legitimately concerned?
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2006, 03:18:50 PM »
I really hate using the “racism” in reference to Arabs and Muslims. It's such a loaded term.

I, being the kind hearted soul and true negotiator that I am, much prefer to put it this way:

We don’t hate you because of your race, silly people. We hate you because you’re different, that’s the American way. We hate you because you dress differently, talk funny, and worship a false god (although we do secretly respect the way you have kept your women in their place). We would gladly welcome you into our country so long as you give up all ties with your ethnic community, and assimilate with us, and think like us, but are still willing to know your place and not take jobs that pay well or we might want to do. Like the Irish.

A large portion of Muslim population in the United States are reverts to Islam who don't have any ethnic ties to the Middle East or Asia. (Roughly 30-35%)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9184353144432289069&q=islam

redemption

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
Differences are not the problem. They are to be celebrated and valued. Instead it is translating difference into superiority/inferiority that is the problem. There have been and still are two major trends in the world today - both totalitarian: (1) to attempt to efface difference by pressuring the Other to assimilate; and (2) to ascribe moral value to the differences that do exist. Both should be resisted.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 08:38:25 PM »
One cannot apply moral values to cultural differences UNLESS there are objective truths. So, if one believes in objective truths then one has to ascribe moral values to cultural difference. Belief or not in objective truths is subjective.

But to get on track, total and complete assimilation is not good, but segregation is useless/bad. Good assimilation can be valuable. Society is, and I hate this term, organic. One cannot fully remove all differences - they seep in.

And the idea of cultural relativism can be distinctly harmful in that one cannot condemn harmful acts if they are considered acceptable within their cultural framework. This is not good because sometimes things are bad.

okay, i'll admit it, I just want to argue with red. and I'll do it again! dammit. i am starved for argumental people in this godforsaken town. 2 more months.

redemption

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 08:47:16 PM »
Who are you, noob?

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »
Who are you, noob?

Kind of a heady post for one's first or second entry to the board :)

redemption

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »
Agreed. S/he doesn't know that I eat what I kill.  ;)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 11:43:05 PM »
One cannot apply moral values to cultural differences UNLESS there are objective truths. So, if one believes in objective truths then one has to ascribe moral values to cultural difference. Belief or not in objective truths is subjective.

But to get on track, total and complete assimilation is not good, but segregation is useless/bad. Good assimilation can be valuable. Society is, and I hate this term, organic. One cannot fully remove all differences - they seep in.

And the idea of cultural relativism can be distinctly harmful in that one cannot condemn harmful acts if they are considered acceptable within their cultural framework. This is not good because sometimes things are bad.

okay, i'll admit it, I just want to argue with red. and I'll do it again! dammit. i am starved for argumental people in this godforsaken town. 2 more months.

labels are harmful. ;) nicely done.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2006, 01:25:21 AM »
Agreed. S/he doesn't know that I eat what I kill.  ;)

It's racist. P&O is also a foreign company.
:D :D :D

you are doing a bang-up job so far.

can't quite get your mouth around that, though. :o
aye thought you were smart?  what race are ya talking about?

how is my almighty profile coming?...
shite or get off the pot, right now ya coming up  empti  .

tsteadman

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 02:07:48 AM »
I don't know if anyone has brought up this point but
Racism=a belief that one's racee is superior to another race
Bigotry=A intolerance of another race/religon

We are definately not racist, but perhaps bigoted

As a democrat I really want to be against this, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is.  Another foreign company already controls the port operations and they won't be in charge of security.

We would probably let the UAE own a McDonald's, why can't they own a port-management company???

Fidelio

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 05:33:49 AM »
I don't know if anyone has brought up this point but
Racism=a belief that one's racee is superior to another race
Bigotry=A intolerance of another race/religon

We are definately not racist, but perhaps bigoted

As a democrat I really want to be against this, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is.  Another foreign company already controls the port operations and they won't be in charge of security.

We would probably let the UAE own a McDonald's, why can't they own a port-management company???

Yes there are actually many McDonalds and other American franchises like Taco Bell, Burger King, etc etc etc in Dubai.  I am sure at least some of them are owned by the UAE.