Law School Discussion

Poll

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Re: So are we just being racist or legitimately concerned?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
Headquartered in =/= Owned by.

Facts about the UAE

• Partially funded 9/11 attack according to FBI
• 2 of the 9/11 hijackers were from the UAE (Fayez Banihammad & Marwan al-Shehhi)
• Prevented seizure of Bin Laden's assets after 9/11 (US Treasury)
• Was the banking conduit to Al qaeda in the U.S. (9/11 Commission Report)
• One of 3 countries that officially recognized the Taliban (9/11 Commission Report)
• Conduit of AQ Khan nuclear secrets to N. Korea
• Conduit of illegal nuclear components to Iran, N. Korea and Lybia.
• Does not recognize Israel (I included this since this has been used as a talking point against other countries in the region in the past)

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 03:33:57 PM »
So, then - what does it matter to you where a port-management company is headquartered?

It doesn't matter to me.  Honestly, if it wasn't a state owned/subsidized corporation, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was in Iran, China, whatever.  As it stands, China already owns a not insignificant amount of the US economy.  It's unsettling because the corporation and the UAE are not two separate entities; not fully anyhow.

redemption

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »
the real question is since 1. companies don't necessarily have national security interests in mind, 2. the federal government is rather incompetent, who WILL manage port operations and security?

A vague architecture..

1. Statutory liability for harm arising from something that passes through port system
2. Make insurance mandatory
3. The insurance company will police the port management company's compliance with secutiry standards

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 08:14:26 PM »

Facts about the UAE

• 2 of the 9/11 hijackers were from the UAE (Fayez Banihammad & Marwan al-Shehhi)
• One of 3 countries that officially recognized the Taliban (9/11 Commission Report)
• Does not recognize Israel (I included this since this has been used as a talking point against other countries in the region in the past)

so what?  blanketly blame the whole country...yep...that's it.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 09:48:11 PM »

Facts about the UAE

Like if the US gov't hasn't blanketly blamed entire countries before....they just do it selectively when a certain agenda is being pursued.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »

Facts about the UAE

Like if the US gov't hasn't blanketly blamed entire countries before....they just do it selectively when a certain agenda is being pursued.

the point is to move forward not backward, my brother. no?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 11:29:01 PM »
I really hate using the “racism” in reference to Arabs and Muslims. It's such a loaded term.

I, being the kind hearted soul and true negotiator that I am, much prefer to put it this way:

We don’t hate you because of your race, silly people. We hate you because you’re different, that’s the American way. We hate you because you dress differently, talk funny, and worship a false god (although we do secretly respect the way you have kept your women in their place). We would gladly welcome you into our country so long as you give up all ties with your ethnic community, and assimilate with us, and think like us, but are still willing to know your place and not take jobs that pay well or we might want to do. Like the Irish.

I think putting it that way takes the whole sting out of it, and results in a more meaningful dialogue between unequal’s, don’t you.  ;D

so, you have a lot of hate?

SCgrad

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »
Blue Warrior reminds me of the KKK episode of South Park.  You just feel squeamish being on the same side as him, even if you think it is the right side.

your obsequious analogy is one of the more niggling efforts you have made...

glad you understand my positon, though.

px.o.rsta

sorry, that was a general statement.  it wasn't in direct reference to this thread.  And I'm a niggler?  ::)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
I really hate using the “racism” in reference to Arabs and Muslims. It's such a loaded term.

I, being the kind hearted soul and true negotiator that I am, much prefer to put it this way:

We don’t hate you because of your race, silly people. We hate you because you’re different, that’s the American way. We hate you because you dress differently, talk funny, and worship a false god (although we do secretly respect the way you have kept your women in their place). We would gladly welcome you into our country so long as you give up all ties with your ethnic community, and assimilate with us, and think like us, but are still willing to know your place and not take jobs that pay well or we might want to do. Like the Irish.

I think putting it that way takes the whole sting out of it, and results in a more meaningful dialogue between unequal’s, don’t you.  ;D

so, you have a lot of hate?

More than enough to share, should I send some your way? :)

just put it in a bottle and drop it in the ocean.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 10:24:17 PM »
Blue Warrior reminds me of the KKK episode of South Park.  You just feel squeamish being on the same side as him, even if you think it is the right side.

your obsequious analogy is one of the more niggling efforts you have made...

glad you understand my positon, though.

px.o.rsta

sorry, that was a general statement.  it wasn't in direct reference to this thread.  And I'm a niggler?  ::)

glad to have you on my side. 8)