Law School Discussion

Poll

Re: So are we just being racist or legitimately concerned?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:50:01 PM »
Well since it is only my opinion and not presented as indisputable fact, it probably should be seen as circular. ;)

redemption

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »
Just sayin'  :)

Fidelio

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:21:49 PM »
This issue gave many politicians a chance to score points.  I say it is racism. 

redemption

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 07:26:49 AM »
I would say legitimate because the UAE partially owned company may not have US's economic interest completely at heart.  Our ports are very important for our economy.  Even the ones on that side.

No company has the "US's economic interests completely at heart".  ;)

redemption

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »

I would argue that a company based in the US would have have more to gain from a better economy than one based somewhere else, thus, would care more about the US economy.  These are the ports, afterall.  I would be concerned if it was any country-subsidized company, not just UAE-subsidized ones.

I don't see why that would be true. Nevertheless, the previous owner was also a foreign company: P&O = "British"

redemption

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »

I would argue that a company based in the US would have have more to gain from a better economy than one based somewhere else, thus, would care more about the US economy.  These are the ports, afterall.  I would be concerned if it was any country-subsidized company, not just UAE-subsidized ones.

I don't see why that would be true. Nevertheless, the previous owner was also a foreign company: P&O = "British"

The queen of research.  I did not know this.

I have a general distaste of outsourcing, so that may be what forms my opinion.  Was P&O subsidized or owned by the British government?  I suppose it boils down to: "They're our ports, why don't we just run them?"  Then again, what we don't know probably won't hurt us.  :D

The reaction to UAE is then most likely racist, but I still feel those concerns about port ownership are valid.  Obviously those concerns that are racially motivated are not valid. 

I went to school in Britain. P&O is as famous there as Macy's is here.

There may be something to be said for higher regulation and better supervision of security measures all around, regardless of who owned the port management company - my sympathies lie with that position.

redemption

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 06:21:27 PM »
Hiya Swats - been a while since I talked to you.

Yeah, nothing will happen with port security and that's how the next big thing will happen when it does. Remember what I always say about USG?

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »
Lou Dobbs Tonight- Taken from a screen shot of the show:

UAE concerns
Money for 9/11 Attacks
Al Quaeda Bank Accounts
Does not recognize Israel
Nuclear Shipsments

DOBBS: President Bush's family and members of the Bush administration have long-standing business connections with the United Arab Emirates, and those connections are raising new concerns and questions tonight in some quarters about why the president is defying his very own party leadership and his party in defending the Dubai port deal.

CHRISTINE ROMANS: The oil-rich United Arab Emirates is a major investor in The Carlyle Group, the private equity investment firm where President Bush's father once served as senior adviser and is a who's who of former high-level government officials. Just last year, Dubai International Capital, a government-backed buyout firm, invested in an $8 billion Carlyle fund.

Another family connection, the president's brother, Neil Bush, has reportedly received funding for his educational software company from the UAE investors. A call to his company was not returned.

Then there is the cabinet connection. Treasury Secretary John Snow was chairman of railroad company CSX/. After he left the company for the White House, CSX sold its international port operations to Dubai Ports World for more than a billion dollars.

In Connecticut today, Snow told reporters he had no knowledge of that CSX sale. "I learned of this transaction probably the same way members of the Senate did, by reading about it in the newspapers."

Another administration connection, President Bush chose a Dubai Ports World executive to head the U.S. Maritime Administration. David Sanborn, the former director of Dubai Ports' European and Latin American operations, he was tapped just last month to lead the agency that oversees U.S. port operations.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:32:18 PM »
it is skittish hyped nonsense...

how many races involved?
that is nonsense as well.

let the deal pass...

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 06:56:27 AM »
well, that settle it.