Law School Discussion

Poll

« on: February 21, 2006, 03:45:47 AM »
:)

SCgrad

Re: So are we just being racist or legitimately concerned?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:24:13 AM »
this is the best evidence they could come up with...

"Others, however, point out that two of the September 11, 2001, hijackers were from the UAE. In addition, most of the hijackers received money channeled through various sources based in the UAE, according to the Justice Department and the 9/11 commission"

So since Timothy McVeigh was American, Americans are not to be trusted, right?  ::)

If you want to just make a blanket statement that something like this should definitely be controlled entirely by the USA, fine, but this seems like "Oh, UAE?  That's in the middle east, right?  That just can't be a good idea.  Let's think of a reason why."

I don't know that it is racist, though.  If the company were a US company run by people who were US citizens but originated from UAE, would they be making this argument?

redemption

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:26:01 AM »
It's racist. P&O is also a foreign company.

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:28:31 AM »
If you want to just make a blanket statement that something like this should definitely be controlled entirely by the USA, fine, but this seems like "Oh, UAE?  That's in the middle east, right?  That just can't be a good idea.  Let's think of a reason why."

I don't know that it is racist, though.  If the company were a US company run by people who were US citizens but originated from UAE, would they be making this argument?

i would make a blanket statement that says this should be something controlled by the USA, and probably a lot better than it has been thus far.

also, i would say that if they were citizens originating from UAE, people would still make this argument.  i mean come on, naturalized citizens of foreign origin are pretty consistently targets of suspicion.  example, wen ho lee.

so you admit the 9/11 argument is weak, right?

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:33:25 AM »
give contracts to guardian angels.

Who dat?

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:57:38 AM »
I don't think its at all racist, although their is some xenophobia present.

That being said, would their be as much opposition to this deal if it weren't another example of bush administration secrecy?

tkd720man

• law schools should have basketball teams
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tkd720man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »
I think it's a legit concern.

It's not because the company is from the UAE - it's because the company is partially owned and controlled by the government of the UAE. It's bad policy, I think, to have another government in control of our ports.

I'd have no real problem if it were a private company - I mean, I'd like it if an American company could own American ports, but as long as it's private it's legitimate.

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:32:04 AM »
I think it's a legit concern.

It's not because the company is from the UAE - it's because the company is partially owned and controlled by the government of the UAE. It's bad policy, I think, to have another government in control of our ports.

I'd have no real problem if it were a private company - I mean, I'd like it if an American company could own American ports, but as long as it's private it's legitimate.

i think that is reasonable if it is under the logic of UAE =/= USA and not under the logic of UAE = country in the middle east

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
I think it is reasonable (and not racist) if a legitimate security concern exists, which in this case I believe does.

redemption

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:31:54 PM »
I think it is reasonable (and not racist) if a legitimate security concern exists, which in this case I believe does.

This is circular