Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rutgers camden? any word at all?  (Read 1027 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
rutgers camden? any word at all?
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:51:49 AM »
has anyone heard anything from rutgers camden? lsn is sparce and no one i know has heard anything. Does anyone know whats the deal or if they are just primarily a "late-admit" school?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

Capt. Nick

• The pain is great.
    • View Profile
Re: rutgers camden? any word at all?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
I haven't heard anything yet and according to LSN only like 12 people have (10 accepted, 2 rejected).  It doesn't seem wise for them to hold letters so long as many people will begin sending in seat deposits soon.
In: Widener, Pace, Drexel, U Balt., Southwestern, Quinnipiac
Out: U MD, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago & LA, Temple, American, Seton Hall, Chicago, Pepperdine, RU-Camden, Chicago-Kent
Waitlist: Catholic, Hofstra, Chapman
To go: 3 + 1
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CaptNick

Terp2006

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terp2006
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:19:02 PM »
I thought they were a little strange with my application -- I applied around the end of December and received an email acceptance within 2-2.5 weeks.  Not to mention I was far from an auto admit with a 3.4 and an avg. LSAT of 160 (and not from NJ).  I have many friends also waiting from there as well though, so best of luck to you.   

I received an email, followed by information and a t-shirt via mail.  Hope that helps.  Check out my LSN if you want any further info.
163/3.4
National Champs: Villanova, Rutgers Camden, Richmond, UBaltimore
Waitlist Sweet 16: GMU, American, Wake Forest
Selection Sunday:  5 others
NIT: BC, UMD, Temple, GW
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terp2006

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »
They're quite vague on multiple LSAT scores, which I've very much been wondering about. Hopefully they start sending out some more decisions soon.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

SillyMia

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »
Last year I got a pseudo-admit late in the game (lmid-March) and it was a phone call.  They said, "hey, we really like you, but the class is full.  would you like to take a summer class before attending?  If so, then we'll admit you."

I live in California and was counting on the summer income at my current job and own a small business.  It really wasn't an option.  I asked her if I could think about it.

I never got anything in the mail accepting or rejecting me at that point.  I followed up with a letter of continued interest by e-mail and post.  Two days letter I got an acceptance call and e-mail which included a scholarship. 

I read an article about the US News rankings and tactics law schools are using.  Apparently, Rutgers wants people with lower scores to attend summer school b/c when they start in Fall, they're technically "part time" and don't have to be reported to US News.  Low isn't really "low low" either.  Basically it appears that they want to reserve as high of a score as possible for the full timers.  I thought it was interesting.

Reading some posts from last year, they sent out some fee waivers and requested people with an LSAT score over 160 apply and they would "most likely get a scholarship".  The other curious thing was that this was in the summer!  So much for the "class is full" theory.

Good luck with the process.  My advice is to write a letter of continued interest come march 30th if you haven't heard anything or got on their waitlist.  They seem like a campus that is using "creative" tactics to increase their ratings.  Let me know if you attend!  April 1 is the Dean's law day.  I'll be there!

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:29:39 PM »
The last post was really good information and pretty much spot-on.  Their thing right now is to raise their LSAT averages by any means necessary.  They are also very big on people not from NJ -- and for that matter, probably not from PA, either, which has to be their second biggest feeder state.  I think if you've got a 160 you're in.  If you don't, they're waiting to see how many of the 160+ lsat candidates accept, then they'll probably start admitting people with lower lsats, like 159's and 158's and trying to see how many of those they can get.

They're really trying to control what their lsat is instead of admitting a ton of people and seeing who comes, they're admitting a few, then seeing what numbers they should admit next, etc.

On one hand, it's annoying.  On the other, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Or something like that.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »
I got some mail from them today indicating that they are now on rolling admissions in order to exercise more precise control over their class size.  That may shed some light on why they are taking longer -- trying to admit people and see their reactions before continuing forward with waves of more acceptances.  Just a theory.

SillyMia

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
That's weird.  I thought they were always rolling.

don't hate the player, hate the game.  Or something like that.

Indeed, Kevdog.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:44:11 AM »
That's weird.  I thought they were always rolling.

don't hate the player, hate the game.  Or something like that.

Indeed, Kevdog.

They may have always been rolling -- I'm not sure.  It looks like the distinction this year is they are trying to pare down to 150 students full-time.  This means more money for scholarships and a higher matriculation from admission to attendance, which is good for Usnews.  That is, if they can carefully extend acceptances to candidates they deem highly likely to attend.

SillyMia

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »
Very interesting!  Are you near Camden right now?  I have a few trips coming up starting next week and am excited to go back there and pick their brains again regarding all of this.  I'll let you know how that goes.