Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?  (Read 11704 times)

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »
I got an envelope from Suffolk's financial aid office yesterday and was real excited.  i was devastated to find a letter inside saying they couldn't process my application due to some discrepency between my Suffolk Fin aid application and my FAFSA.  So I filled out the new form and faxed it to them and called the lady and was assured that I'd still be considered as having my application in before March 1 (priority filing date) but I'm still pretty bummed out. 

They couldn't tell me what the discrepency was.  What a headache.  Different forms ask similar questions differently, like one form asked my monthly mortgage payment and another just asked my monthly payment for my home - well my mortgage is one amount, but when you take homeowners insurance and property taxes into consideration, my monthly payment is like $400 more.  Stuff like that.  Pain in my butt.  Keeping my fingers crossed for some money.   
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »
I got the same envelope yesterday as well, haven't even had time to look at it well, i know it shows that I will be receiving the full Fed loan 8,500 with be subsidized and 10,000 unsubsidized.

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
I got my Michigan package via email- 18,500 in federal loans, with an estimated cost of attendance of 52,990.  :-\

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2006, 10:27:26 AM »
I heard from Suffolk on Tuesday.  They offered me a $5000 grant, a $1500 loan at 0%, and the full $8500 subsidized, $10,000 unsubsidized loans. 

GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
I got my package from Harvard. Cost of attendance is $59,000+ and it's all going to be loans. I don't know if I can take on this much debt.  :-\
HLS '09

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2006, 08:52:21 PM »
I got my Michigan package via email- 18,500 in federal loans, with an estimated cost of attendance of 52,990.  :-\

Same here, meels.  Coming from a middle class family, I'm very disappointed that I didn't qualify for a need-based grant, especially considering I've asked my parents not to contribute any money towards my law school education.

sporky

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2006, 09:38:52 PM »
ugh, if you guys are all getting nothing but loans then I'm doomed too. how depressing.

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2006, 11:19:21 PM »
Should I try to negotiate for some need-based aid from Michigan?  Taken directly from the web site's Financial Aid FAQs:

<<Financial aid for law school is a combination of loans and grants. The Office of Financial Aid administers grants and loans on the basis of financial need; the Admissions Office administers requests for grants on the basis of academic merit. In the 2005 entering class, 80 percent of students received some form of grant, in an average amount of $8,600. 51 percent of first-year students received grants based on financial need; 36 percent received grants based on academic merit; 7 percent received a combination.>>

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2006, 12:10:09 AM »
Mich just doesnt have any money. Harvard gave me more grants in a SEMESTER than UM offered for the entire year.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2006, 02:23:57 AM »
the cost is really starting to freak me out.  i got into hoftra today and frankly, i can't afford it.  sucks. i really hope i like my tier3 $$$$ school.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.