Law School Discussion

Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?

tsteadman

Re: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 01:54:50 AM »
These schools probably aren't on most of your radars but...

I got my financial aid package from Valpo today, nothing good to report (just the Federal loans)

I also got a letter from Seton Hall this week telling me that they do financial aid in late March/early April...there was also some interesting information about the changes to the student loan package in the 'Defecit Reduction Act' of 2006.  Apparently you will be able to take out an additional $2,000 per year in unsubsidized loans and grad students will qualify for the Plus loans as well. 

If someone else knows about these changes, I would love to hear about it...I pieced together some stuff from the web and it appears that graduate/professional students will be able to borrow the entire cost of attendance from the federal government. 

Here is the link that I found...

http://www.accessgroup.org/education_pr/currentprogram.htm

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 02:08:29 AM »

When did you fill out need access?  Just wondering how fast UCLA's turnaround is =).

hmmm maybe 2 weeks ago? you are seriously thinking about ucla??

I'm definitely considering UCLA =).  I was actually just more interested in how fast schools got back to you after you filled out Need Access (which I did just this past weekend).

are you gonna attend any of their friday host luncheon thing?

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 02:15:05 AM »
dang 12.5k is quite a bit; i hope i get something like that from ucla.

no word about merit $$ from ucla yet?

jeb240

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 05:30:53 AM »

I got my financial aid package from Valpo today, nothing good to report (just the Federal loans)

I also got a letter from Seton Hall this week telling me that they do financial aid in late March/early April...there was also some interesting information about the changes to the student loan package in the 'Defecit Reduction Act' of 2006.  Apparently you will be able to take out an additional $2,000 per year in unsubsidized loans and grad students will qualify for the Plus loans as well. 

If someone else knows about these changes, I would love to hear about it...I pieced together some stuff from the web and it appears that graduate/professional students will be able to borrow the entire cost of attendance from the federal government. 

Wow, that's really helpful and good to know.  Although, the availability of such large governmental loans probably spells the end of institutional need-based grants, which kinda sucks.

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »
I got my offer from William and Mary yesterday.  Nothing special besides the merit scholarship they offered me a few months back.  The $18,500 (un)subsidized Stafford, $3,000 Perkins Grad Loan, and a nice little note that I had "additional eligibility" for a private loan of $7,400.  I found it funny that they phrased the fact that I'll have to go private to finance the rest of my eductaion seem like I won a prize.

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

I posted a thread about the plus loan thing.  like you said- it lets you borrow your entire cost of attendance, however the interest rate is higher than some private loans

almuhajaba

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 11:54:47 PM »
I got my offer from William and Mary yesterday.  Nothing special besides the merit scholarship they offered me a few months back.  The $18,500 (un)subsidized Stafford, $3,000 Perkins Grad Loan, and a nice little note that I had "additional eligibility" for a private loan of $7,400.  I found it funny that they phrased the fact that I'll have to go private to finance the rest of my eductaion seem like I won a prize.

hey how much out of the 18.5k was subsidized? Did you get the entire 8.5K subsidized amount?

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »

hey how much out of the 18.5k was subsidized? Did you get the entire 8.5K subsidized amount?

8.5k sub, 10k unsub

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »
Just got my first from Lewis and Clark: $8,500 (sub), $10,000 (unsub), and $23,760 in private loans.  No scholarships or grants mean I won't be going there.

slicric

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »
I've only heard back from Fordham and they could *only* offer me the merit based scholarship that I had received and 18.5 fed. cap. load.  WTF?!? I have no money. My parents are not paying and even if they were I don't see how the heck would they afford it besides draining their own retirement plans.  ARG! Guess I need to look into private loans.

yeah, some of my schools dont do need based other than the 18.5 either.  damn.  anybody can get that!  even if you didnt need the money you'd be smart to get it and invest it, even at 5% as you pay no interest while in school.  at graduation, pay it off and keep the interest.

What does everyone think of this idea.  Is it smart to take out as large a loan as possible and invest it?