Law School Discussion

Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?

cyberrev

Re: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
um...18500 is the max in stafford...i dont see what your problem is??

some schools are giving grad plus to the younger students it seems b/c of credit issues or no outside money...others are telling you to get the rest of the money from private loans (which grad plus offerees have the option of doing insteaD) b/c you have good credit/money and just dont qualify for grad plus....it's not like they're asking you for a parental contribution.

no, i'm just broke as *&^% and should qualify for some need-based

cyberrev

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2006, 07:50:53 AM »
deal with it. you're just like the rest of us.

no, i'm 46, a disabled veteran with a disabled wife who had major surgery this past year and cant work.  i'm a little different.

why are you so angry, anyway?  it's not like i'm taking any of your money

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »
excuse me..but nearly every single person coming out of undergrad is broke as sh*t too. we all pretty much get the same 18500 in stafford and the leftover in private/grad plus. some people are lucky to get merit based. schools that consider parental finances or really want someone give out perkins and grants to those who they really want. obviously these schools dont want you so badly that they will cut down on some of your loans and give you a grant. deal with it. you're just like the rest of us.

no, i'm 46, a disabled veteran with a disabled wife who had major surgery this past year and cant work.  i'm a little different.

why are you so angry, anyway?  it's not like i'm taking any of your money

ISNTLIKETHERESTPOWNED

Bettn

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2006, 08:50:34 AM »

some schools are giving grad plus to the younger students it seems b/c of credit issues or no outside money...others are telling you to get the rest of the money from private loans (which grad plus offerees have the option of doing insteaD) b/c you have good credit/money and just dont qualify for grad plus....it's not like they're asking you for a parental contribution.

I got a PLUS loan, but I'm a non-trad. This is the first time I've ever applied for finaid, so I'm not even sure what a plus loan is. It seems to be making up for everything that wasn't covered with the 2 stafford loans and the scholarships. I didn't realise I was lucky enough to not be told to go to private for a loan.

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2006, 12:16:33 AM »

I got a PLUS loan, but I'm a non-trad. This is the first time I've ever applied for finaid, so I'm not even sure what a plus loan is. It seems to be making up for everything that wasn't covered with the 2 stafford loans and the scholarships. I didn't realise I was lucky enough to not be told to go to private for a loan.

To the original "um...18500 is the max" reply:
The earlier poster made no mention of hoping to receive more federal aid, and probably was disappointed that there was nothing in the way of institutional aid on top of the Stafford.  Many people who got good financial aid packages in undergraduate are probably surprised to see that the schools themselves aren't offering more than they do.  Not everyone has had the chance to research as extensively as other people lurking on this board.

As for grad PLUS loans, the situation seems to differ from school to school.  However, grad plus loans are NOT strictly need-based.  They are not "given" to students by the schools... instead, the school is required to certify to the lender the amount of further aid for which the student is eligible.  Basically, anyone who is certified by their school is eligible for [total expenses MINUS all other forms of aid].  The difference, I believe, is in how schools handle things.  Some schools have jumped on the boat and recommend that their students do this loan.  However, it is not necessarily a better deal - depends on your personal credit situation and your borrowing preferences.  My school, for example, recommends grad PLUS for students without an excellent credit score.

I searched a bunch of schools' finaid websites, and many top schools made no mention of Grad PLUS (maybe because they haven't updated yet...it is a new system, after all), but then my school, on the other hand, talks as if it expects MOST students to go this route.

Bettn

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2006, 08:47:04 AM »
Thanks, bspitz. :)