Law School Discussion

Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
I got an email from UCLA about preliminary grant award(purely need based) a few days ago.. something like $12,500 a year. the email also listed the allowed loan amounts and all the other jazz.

merit sch offer from nu, cardozo, ut austin in specific amts., but i don't think those has anything to do with finaid applications.

When did you fill out need access?  Just wondering how fast UCLA's turnaround is =).

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 05:50:57 PM »
I got an email from UCLA about preliminary grant award(purely need based) a few days ago.. something like $12,500 a year. the email also listed the allowed loan amounts and all the other jazz.

merit sch offer from nu, cardozo, ut austin in specific amts., but i don't think those has anything to do with finaid applications.

When did you fill out need access?  Just wondering how fast UCLA's turnaround is =).

hmmm maybe 2 weeks ago? you are seriously thinking about ucla??

cyberrev

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »
I've only heard back from Fordham and they could *only* offer me the merit based scholarship that I had received and 18.5 fed. cap. load.  WTF?!? I have no money. My parents are not paying and even if they were I don't see how the heck would they afford it besides draining their own retirement plans.  ARG! Guess I need to look into private loans.

yeah, some of my schools dont do need based other than the 18.5 either.  damn.  anybody can get that!  even if you didnt need the money you'd be smart to get it and invest it, even at 5% as you pay no interest while in school.  at graduation, pay it off and keep the interest.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »
I just got in my FAFSA and institutional aid apps everywhere and was wondering -- when in the world should I expect to hear back from these people with an aid package? 

Aside for y'all with scholarships (i.e. Columbia's Hamilton), have any schools begun to send out their financial aid packages?

Law Schools offer aids other than scholarship?  I thought they generally don't offer any need-base grant.

jeb240

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 08:57:41 PM »
They generally don't, but I think all schools offer something of some sort, but it's generally very little and I don't think it goes to everyone.  Additionally, some schools offer grants that are mixes of need- and merit-based.

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

hmmm maybe 2 weeks ago? you are seriously thinking about ucla??

I'm definitely considering UCLA =).  I was actually just more interested in how fast schools got back to you after you filled out Need Access (which I did just this past weekend).

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Harvard and Stanford give need based ONLY.

If you are going to school fulltime, you are expected to earn nearly $0, how do they determine your 'need'?  Won't everyone be classified as poor?  How much do you have to earn before law school to be classified as 'not poor'?

jeb240

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
BTW I just called Michigan because my fin aid is... complicated.

In any case, the woman there (gosh, she was so super nice) told me that they won't start sending out package letters for another 2 weeks.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »
Harvard and Stanford give need based ONLY.

If you are going to school fulltime, you are expected to earn nearly $0, how do they determine your 'need'?  Won't everyone be classified as poor?  How much do you have to earn before law school to be classified as 'not poor'?

Parents. And "need" is determined by the school's own formula, which takes into account past income and assets like rental property, businesses, etc.

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 01:41:54 AM »
dang 12.5k is quite a bit; i hope i get something like that from ucla.