Law School Discussion

Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:32:58 PM »
I just got in my FAFSA and institutional aid apps everywhere and was wondering -- when in the world should I expect to hear back from these people with an aid package? 

Aside for y'all with scholarships (i.e. Columbia's Hamilton), have any schools begun to send out their financial aid packages?

jeb240

Re: Has Anyone Been Offered a FinAid Package Yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:20:08 PM »
A lot of schools seem to state that they start really processing apps for fin aid in mid-February/March, so I don't think we should start hearing numbers about fin aid packages until mid-March, maybe a little earlier.

But EARLIER THAN MID-MARCH if any fin aid committee members are lurking WOULD BE PERFECTION.

(Friends reference -- get it?)

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »
I think I'm the only person on earth who has never seen an episode of Friends.

And what is with these unrealistically early FA deadlines? Michigans priority was Feb 1 I think. Who has their taxes done on Feb 1? And forget that estimating mess - tried that once in undergrad, never again.

jeb240

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »

And what is with these unrealistically early FA deadlines? Michigans priority was Feb 1 I think. Who has their taxes done on Feb 1? And forget that estimating mess - tried that once in undergrad, never again.

Michigan doesn't have a priority deadline.  Michigan doesn't have any deadline, actually.  ASAP seems to be there only guideline as far as dates are concerned.

And it seems to be the case, at least of some of my schools, that the tax information is not immediately necessary.  You can fill out the FAFSA and the Need Access with just estimates (I do not know about the CSS Profile), and a few of them seem to be saying that tax forms aren't due until later/after you get your fin aid offer.  And some of them seem to say both, now and later, so I don't really know what is going on.  Luckily my taxes are done and I'm petitioning to get my parental info waived from schools that require it, so I don't have to wait on that.

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »

(Friends reference -- get it?)

I got it.  The brainspace I have wasted on mindless TV is shameful.  Hopefully I can reformat some of that space and use it to store mindless law school stuff - cases and whatnot. 

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

I've actually never seen an episode of Friends either.  So make that two of us.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »

Three of us.  And I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld either.

almuhajaba

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »

Three of us.  And I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld either.

No Seinfeld?!?!?  :o BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:45 AM »
I've only heard back from Fordham and they could *only* offer me the merit based scholarship that I had received and 18.5 fed. cap. load.  WTF?!? I have no money. My parents are not paying and even if they were I don't see how the heck would they afford it besides draining their own retirement plans.  ARG! Guess I need to look into private loans.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:46:15 AM »
I got an email from UCLA about preliminary grant award(purely need based) a few days ago.. something like $12,500 a year. the email also listed the allowed loan amounts and all the other jazz.

merit sch offer from nu, cardozo, ut austin in specific amts., but i don't think those has anything to do with finaid applications.