Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just plain freaking out  (Read 840 times)

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Just plain freaking out
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:05:06 PM »
Going over all of my financial aid applications and paperwork today, and looking at a timeline, and trying to get the grunt work part of this taken care.

So now I'm really freaking the @#!* out. I haven't got a dime to my name (my net worth on the FAFSA was negative) I'm not counting on a penny from mom and dad, my credit is fair to mediocre at best,  I still have some lingering debt from undergrad that isn't going away and I've only got four, maybe five months of steady employment (and rent) in front of me. In a best case scenerio I'll pull off a full scholarship and only have to come up with $30 or $40 grand to pay for this endeavour. 

Am I alone in the abject terror I'm feeling right now? Does anyone have anything reassuring to say? I could really use it.

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just plain freaking out
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:12:44 PM »
I know what you mean. My credit is marginal, I live pay check to pay check, and the FAFSA 18.5k isn't going to cover my annual expenses. If I don't get massive scholarships (which isn't likely) then its private loan time. I'm reluctant to take out heavy private loans, but if its the difference between going where I want and going to a lower choice then I'll just pony up, get a co-signer, and pay it off once I graduate.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:43:24 PM »
Going over all of my financial aid applications and paperwork today, and looking at a timeline, and trying to get the grunt work part of this taken care.

So now I'm really freaking the @#!* out. I haven't got a dime to my name (my net worth on the FAFSA was negative) I'm not counting on a penny from mom and dad, my credit is fair to mediocre at best,  I still have some lingering debt from undergrad that isn't going away and I've only got four, maybe five months of steady employment (and rent) in front of me. In a best case scenerio I'll pull off a full scholarship and only have to come up with $30 or $40 grand to pay for this endeavour. 

Am I alone in the abject terror I'm feeling right now? Does anyone have anything reassuring to say? I could really use it.

Seconded on the parents-have-money-but-aint-paying and the bad credit thing.  Use the guilt your parents may feel from not offering you $$$ to get them to co-sign your loans  :)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »
I totally feel you on the parents, and it just makes me mad that when you're 29 it's still totally expected that your parents will want to pony up a big lump of cash each year. WTF? Meanwhile, my net worth is negligible, but because of the parents' retirement fund, I don't qualify for much in terms of need-based scholarships. At least I have decent credit and will hopefully have some money saved, but not what I would like to have. I'm probably going to be working during 2L/3L and busting my butt to get decent paying internships both summers.

cyberrev

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:32:30 PM »

sorry, buddy, i'm just as screwed as you are

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »

sorry, buddy, i'm just as screwed as you are

No need for sorry, I'm happy to see everyone is equally screwed!

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:49:30 PM »
Sign me up here.

With luck, fafsa will cover my tuition barely, which leaves books and other expenses. Then throw in living on top. My wife will NEED to be working, but I'm not sure when, or how much she can make there - so we're going to be scraping the barrel for the first year for sure. Hopefully a paying summer internship will help second year, and third year my brain will be so addled, I won't even know that I'm signing bad checks *LOL*