Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: living in DC and raising a family there  (Read 1641 times)

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: living in DC and raising a family there
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »
Meh...I'll give you the whole 'good grocers' thing. NYC did have some pretty scary grocers, which isn't to say D.C. doesn't have its own, they're just a lot fewer.

However, having a Whole Foods or two, no matter how great they are (because they are, in fact, so great I wanna hump their CEO's leg), doesn't make a good reason to move to this otherwise intolerable city.

As far as the suburbs too, I might add...don't get me wrong, many of the Northern Virginia suburbs are B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L, but...you're tolerating a lot of inconvenience in the form of traffic if you're having to commute to the city. As I mentioned before, the traffic situation here is abominable (apparently the 3rd or 4th worst in the country).

That fact, and having actually suffered the commute on a regular basis, has turned me off to Northern Virginia. YMMV.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

check01

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 02:46:39 AM »
Chiming in late to this thread but I had to add my $0.02:

I lived in DC for over 10 years, loved every second of it that I wasn't on Metro, and moved away when my wife and I decided to start a family. Great city, I had the perfect career, but I refused to raise a child there.

This issue isn't crime, or the arts scene/lack thereof, or costs. The issue for us is the poisonous culture of wealth, power, and entitlement from which it is impossible to shield your children.

You may vow never to throw a birthday party that costs as much as a lavish wedding reception and where your kid receives 30+ expensive presents, but your kid will attend 30 parties per year just like that and wonder why you don't love him as much as other parents love their kids.

You may talk a good game about meritocracy, but your kid will watch as her friend's mother pulls strings with a white house staffer to circumvent the intern application process while you preach fruitlessly about playing by the rules.

You may think you need not worry if your 7th grader is going to weekend parties where guys line up outside the bathroom to take their turns kissing, groping, and receiving blow jobs from designated girls, but then you find yourself spending a Friday night walking outside someone's house like a guard at Alcatraz to make sure nobody is getting high in the backyard.

While there are pretty firm lines in the city dividing wealthy whites from the grinding poverty of most of the population, the suburbs are more mixed, with bureaucrats living next door to lobbyists and congressmen. The culture infests every household, and all you can do is accept it or move away.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 07:53:46 AM »
check01 - I appreciate your comments and your frankness.  I think that I'll have most of those same concerns if I stay in New York.