Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: living in DC and raising a family there  (Read 1637 times)

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
Re: living in DC and raising a family there
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
yeah, but my SO is a realtor, so it works well for us ;) j/k

and I lived in SF for a while, I'd argue that most cities have a similar affliction...
UVA '09

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 08:15:40 AM »
My point isn't just the money though.  Even if I was filthy rich I wouldn't stay here.  DC doesn't have anything to offer for that cost compared to places like NYC, California, or many of the big metro areas throughout the country.  Also, traffic here is worse than ANYWHERE.  Its obscene at times.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 08:29:10 AM »
I can understand that... we can agree to disagree? I agree w/much of what you say, but am a history/politics dork and love VA, so I do feel that this area has a lot to offer.
UVA '09

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 08:31:19 AM »
I also used to live there...while I was single.  Spent my elementary school years there as well - my Dad was military.

Public schools in the suberbs are awesome!  BUT everything is uber expensive.  

The city is great if you don't have kids.  My hubby and I lived off Jeff Davis Hwy close to Georgetown...$2500/month for a studio.  NICE studio, but a studio none the less.  Traffic is bad too.  Your money definitely won't go as far there, and the people (IMO) are extremely competitive about "things" (cars, clothes, blah blah blah)

Just wanted to throw in my two cents :)  It is a fun town though if you can afford it!

To roxylaw's point - there is a TON of historical stuff to do which is a lot of fun.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:12 AM »
To add on:  Most of the restaurants are terrible.  DC has its gems but the northern va area is full of chains mostly.  The nightlife in the city is alright, but the bar districts are nothing special in my opinion.

The political attitude here is both good and bad.  There is alot of snobbish people here because this is pretty much a white collar town overall.  It is very one-sided and in my opinion DC is a self-contained bubble that isolates itself.
Attending GW in Fall '06

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »
Well, if I was single, I definitely would have left this area a long time ago.  It doesn't have the best singles nightlife, etc...  The restaurants are pretty sub standard for a city of this size and considering it's our nation's capital.  There are a lot of French restaurants and that's pretty much it.  And even the best restaurants in town are over-hyped and nowhere near what you could get in a city like Chicago, NYC, or Las Vegas.  If you're a sushi lover you could be very miserable - trust me.

The DC school district and crime are pretty horrible.  If you want to school your kids in the city you'll definitely want to go the private school route.  However, the Fairfax County schools in Virginia are either the best or like top 3 school districts in the country.

But even all that said, it depends what you're looking for.  You'll have the museums, shopping, and high powered atmosphere that comes with a big city, in a smaller city feel (mainly b/c of the lack of skyscrapers).  The suburbs are a nice place to raise a family and are growing rapidly.  If you prefer to drive everywhere it's a pretty good place too.  I don't know the bus system very well, but the metro is pretty sub-par.  The city was designed to make it difficult for an invading army to easily navigate the streets (thus all the roundabouts).  And the metro system is designed to make it difficult to plan an attack and have a quick escape.

Kay0014

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 11:11:21 AM »
I am from outside the area. I only lived in Alexindria for one semester due to an internship. But for what it is worth the areas out side of the district such as alexindria, fairfax, etc. are all nice. On the Maryland side Montgomery county is suppose to be a very good place to live. The school there are suppose to be the best in the state of Maryland. So take it for what it is worth. I loved the time I spent in D.C., so it is worth a shot.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 03:11:19 PM »
Thanks for giving me a lot to think about.  I've looked around - living in a decent area in DC will cost the same or more than NYC, and we're quite happy in Brooklyn.  The job wouldn't pay as much as my NYC opportunities. 
Metro shuts down at midnight?  Can't stand that.
No sushi is not alone much of a big deal, unless it reflects a general lack of good fish.  If I take this job, I'll have more time at home.  I like to cook, so availability of good produce is a plus.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 03:36:50 PM »
When I lived in NYC I remember being completely disgusted with the grocery stores there.  DC is definitely better than what I saw in the city, I don't know how Brooklyn compares to Manhattan though.  You can get great produce in the suburbs, DC itself also has Whole Foods which is pretty good.  We also have our share of Farmers Markets too.

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »
One thing I look forward to doing in DC is eating. Afghan food, Ethiopian, Salvadorean... but I doubt the options are better than in NYC, which probably offers the most diverse, high quality restaurants anywhere in the US.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006